Help configuring BIOS correctly - gigabyte ga-p35-ds3 with sata drives

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by stardotstar, Mar 23, 2008.

1. stardotstar

stardotstar Geek Trainee

Hi all,

New here; so G'day!

I am reasonably familiar with hardware basics but my main strengths have always laid on the software side.

I have begun to build a new system for general + HTPC duties and am a little confused about the way that the gigabyte mobo handles my drives.

The physical configuration is thus:
    • 3 x 500GB Samsung 7200RPM Sata (thrash Drives)
    • 1 x 80GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM Sata system drive
    • 1 x BD/DVD/CD etc Sata Optical
    • 1 x DVD/CD etc Sata Optical

Now the mobo has three pairs of sata data sockets. two pairs are yellow (1,2/3,4) and the third is purple.

I have been finding I get radically different behaviour when it comes to the BIOS settings related to Native vs Legacy IDE mode and IDE/RAID etc configurations in the advanced integrated pheripherals bios section.

For example I don't want my drives to show up in legacy mode - under linux they represent as /dev/hda / hdb etc but don't support DMA. Obviously I want to use native Sata so I set that and find that the systems will only properly recognise the drives that are plugged into channel 5&6;

with other settings I find that live cds will boot on the optical BD disc but only as far as the kernel mdev section when I get reports of no available media for mounting...

So, I am a bit in the dark about what bios settings I need to get all my drives available and in the correct order to give me:
    • 1 Boot and System disk - the 80GB Seagate - on which I will build my Gentoo Linux - several ext2 and ext3 partitions
    • 3 500GB media/thrash/data disks - probably XFS - and maybe down the track I would consider ganging them up in a RAID array for redundancy and/or performance but that is a separate project.
    • 2 Optical discs the BD one as a primary that can be used as the CD boot drive if I am not booting from the System disk.

I have enough sata ports and can't see that a p35 mobo won't support everything I want to do...

Could someone please guide me through the configuration options in the bios so that I can get an optimal setup.

These are the options I have been fiddling with:

In standard CMOS I get this:

Code:
    IDE Channel 0 Master Samsung 500
    IDE Chennel 1 Master Samsung 500
    IDE Channel 2 Master Samsung 500
    IDE Channel 3 Master Pioneer DVD-RW DVR
    IDE Channel 4 Master [ None ]
    IDE Channel 4 Slave  [ None ]
    IDE Channel 5 Master Seagate 80
    IDE Channel 5 Slave Pioneer BD-ROM BDC
    and this is due to having the yellow sata sockets populated:

• 0,1 Samsung 500 + Samsung 500
    • 2,3 Samsung 500 + Pioneer DVD-RW
    and the purple sockets:

• 4,5 Seagate 80 + Pioneer BD

Clearly In the advanced CMOS settings I have enabled HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability

Integrated Pheripherals:
    Code:
    SATA AHCI Mode - Disabled (option is AHCI - enable sata as ahci function)
    SATA Port0-1 Native Mode - Enabled (this has me a bit sus because it looks like not all the ports are of the same capability on this mobo - alternative is disabled - Sata port0-1 work at Legacy IDE Mode - and this gave me /dev/hda device without any DMA capability)
    Onboard SATA/IDE Device - Enabled (options are enable or disabled) 
    Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode - IDE (options are IDE, AHCI or RAID/IDE - if I select RAIDE/IDE I get devices showing up as scsi)
    Various combinations of these settings have given me mixed milage from having legacy IDE Drives without DMA able to be set; to drives not showing up and/or boot failing half way through.

What other settings would I need to report to help get to the bottom of this.

In the mean time I am reading and researching this aspect of the systems with which I am unfamiliar...

TIA
    Will

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

What are the full specs of this system, including power supply?

3. stardotstar

stardotstar Geek Trainee

OK, the mobo is in a CoolerMaster case and I am using the standard power supply that came with the case (for convenience) RS-430-PCAR - CoolerMaster.

I have 2G of 800MHz DDR2 Ram

The Video is a Gigabyte GeForce 8400GS - passive cooling

Intel E6750 - Intel Core2Duo 2.66GHz

Stock CPU HeatSync and Fan.

Mobo Spec books states:

South Bridge:
    4 x sata 3Gb/s connectors (SataII0, SataII1, SataII4, SataII5) supporting up to 4 Sata 3Gb/s devices
    Gigabyte Sata 2 Chip:
    1 ide connector
    2 sata 3Gb/s connectors (GSataII0,GSataII1) supporting up to 2 3Gb/s devices and support for sata raid0,1 and JBOD

I take it that this GSataII pair is the other colour sockets on the system board and the other two pairs are the SouthBridge ones...
    I guess the JMicron is the chipset for the GSataII and the Intel will be the other pair on the P35 SouthBridge... When I do an lspci in linux the JMicron is identified but the Intel ones are unclear.
    Code:
    00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 2 port SATA IDE controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.5 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 2 port SATA IDE controller (rev 02)
    03:00.1 IDE interface: JMicron Technologies, Inc. JMicron 20360/20363 AHCI Controller (rev 02) 

What are the implications of all this ??

4. stardotstar

stardotstar Geek Trainee

It appears from my reading that mobo's offer two kinds of SATA connections - and im not sure why - but there are the mainboard chipset connections - in this case the 4 Intel SouthBridge P35 ones and then a secondary set offered by the gigabyte mobo in this case the JMicron Chipset.

How is this going to effect my OS detection of the drives, which drives should I have on what channels and will Linux have difficulty supporting the config shown in the lspci above??

5. stardotstar

stardotstar Geek Trainee