Help Me

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by shutton54321, Jan 25, 2006.

1. shutton54321

shutton54321 Geek Trainee

building a new system at the mo, the system only stays on for about one second i hav put in the processor and the ram and have put the power connectors in, is haven't put the spacers in is this essential.

2. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Are you referring to the spacers between the motherboard and the tray? You should really put them in, otherwise you will short your motherboard and probably cause lasting damage!

3. shutton54321

Yeh I Am Talking Bout The Spacer Under The Motherboard, Should The System Stay On If I Do This Then.

4. megamaced

Regardless of whether it fixes the problem or not, you should always use the spacers! You may run into problems down the road if your motherboard is making contact with the case.

[ot] Why have you capped every word in your last post? :confused: [/ot]

5. shutton54321

Wot Else Could Be The Problem If This Dosen't Work

6. megamaced

Does anything appear on screen?
    Does your computer POST?
    Does it emit and beep codes?

7. shutton54321

No It Dosen't beep, or nothing appers in screen. The Computer shuts down after about 1 second. The fans spin for a couple of seconds

8. megamaced

Okay well put in the spacers (stand-offs) and reconnect everything. Then report back

9. shutton54321

Tell u if it work 2morrow thanks!

10. brunog

brunog Geek Trainee

I put a computer together without a case sitting on a wooden desk and had it work fine because it didnt ground out on anything. (old computer that i didnt care about) But I hope you didnt set the motherboard down in the case without the spacers. That would explain the no boot. If you look at the back of the motherboard there are exposed metal connectors, solder points and so on. Those will ground out on a metal surface and most likey fry everything... I hope you didnt zap your board, Good luck.

11. shutton54321

Put The spacers in now the power stays on. But can't access the bios been told i could reset the cmos to do this?

12. megamaced

I had a feeling that would work! I hope you now realise just how important those stand-offs are :)

If you want to reset your BIOS you will need to clear the CMOS battery. Look for a jumper with 3 pins near to the battery. There will be a bit of plastic covering 2 of the pins, leaving one exposed.
    Let's say the plastic contact is covering pins 1 - 2, to clear the CMOS you would need to take off the plastic and cover pins 2 - 3 for 5 or more seconds. Then put the plastic back to it's original position and switch on the computer.

13. shutton54321

so do i take it off for 5 seconds and switch power on,or not? U right spacers are important and a guy from a massive computer web site said that they weren't needed!

14. megamaced

Turn the power off, and then use the clear CMOS jumper for 5 seconds. Then put the jumper to it's original position and switch on the power