Help, my computer is skipping!

Discussion in 'General Software' started by halfpipehippie, Feb 12, 2006.

1. halfpipehippie

halfpipehippie Geek Trainee

well i have a problem that i only see the affects when i listen to music, but my computer will just go into a wierd skipping sesion for about 2 secs where the mouse doesnt move smootly and the music skips. can anyone help me with my problem? thanks, if u need anything else from me just ask! thanks

2. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

You should download the latest drivers for your sound card.

3. halfpipehippie

my sound card is built in, its a realtek AC'97 audio.... im not really sure what i would need to d/lk it and i need some help figuring out what i would do to d/l the drivers. if u reply thanks

4. megamaced

Firstly let's clarify the problem some more.

This error only happens when you listen to music right? What media player are you using, and does this effect other media players as well?

If you are using Windows Media Player, then try using Realplayer and see if the error appears. If it doesn't, then you know you have a problem with your media player, rather then the sound card drivers.

5. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Make sure you have DMA enabled on both of your IDE channels. In Device Manager, right-click on your primary IDE controller and make sure it is set to DMA and not PIO. Do the same for the secondary IDE channel, and reboot.

6. halfpipehippie

ok i was using winamp and then i tried wmp and it still happened, but i also saw that it skipped when no programs were even open, like i said before my mouse skipped also, it was just my mouse skipping but i saw that they were connected.

7. Anti-Trend

So is DMA enabled or not?

8. megamaced

So what you are saying is that your computer 'skips' even without playing music?

9. halfpipehippie

yes, my computer occasianally skips with out music, but i notice it alot more when there is music going on. i dont really know what im looking for when im looking at the IDE channels...

10. megamaced

There are a whole load of issues that could be responsible for your computer problem.

It is really difficult to diagnose without sitting in front of your computer. You may be suffering from a badly configured system. Download and install CCleaner and run the registry cleaner. Report back with the results.

11. Anti-Trend

Right-click on My Computer --> Properties --> Hardware --> Device Manager --> IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers --> Primary Controller --> (UDMA On) --> Secondary Controller --> (UDMA On)

12. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

it does happens when you run any other program while playing music.....Then 4 sometime your mouse stops workin and when your program opens then everything gets normal.........

If this is the reason then it means your configration is low~!.....U need to upgrade it.

What is the RAM size of your computer and which windows are you on?

13. halfpipehippie

ok, i downloaded CCleaner or whatever and i ran it, ill report back if i have any problems, and for Karanislove i have 1gb of ram and running xp home, what is it that your asking me to do? upgrade? upgrade what?

14. Anti-Trend

Please, for the love of everything sacred, tell me you at least looked at your DMA settings.

15. megamaced

Hehe, c'mon halfpipehippie, your upsetting Anti-Trend now :D I think you better try his suggestions before he goes into a strop :p

I am pretty sure that Windows XP enables DMA by default, but you should double check

16. Anti-Trend

DMA is enabled by default, but that's if there are no problems... obviously there is a problem in this case. And the first thing that comes to mind when I hear about a problem like skipping audio is lack of DMA. So while there are some other culprits I can think of that would explain this, DMA being abscent is the most obvious suspect and should be ruled out first.

17. halfpipehippie

i want to try your method but i havce three options in the device manager, nvidia nforce4 ADMA Controller, nvidia nforce4 ADMA Controller, nvidia nforce4 Parellel ATA controller. which one do i go into? please reply, im sorry i havnt replied sooner

18. Anti-Trend

Check both the primary and secondary controllers of every ATA device you have. Make sure all of them which have such an option are set to DMA modes and not PIO modes.

19. halfpipehippie

when i open up each it has 6 tabs,general, drivers, primary channel, secondary channel, details, resources..... i think it would be under primary channel right? and in the 1st nvidia nforce4 ADMA Controller it has only primary controller options while the 2nd has neither.... and the one in the 1st nvidia nforce4 ADMA Controller says its set to serial ATA generation 1.0-1.5 ghz, but the 3rd option was the nvidia nforce4 Parellel ATA controller and in this the primary controller has no options while the secondary controller does and it is set to Ultra DMA2 -Ultra33.... is that what u wanted to know?