~HELP!!! my new machine unable to boot

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by jazzwall, Jul 22, 2005.

1. jazzwall

jazzwall Geek Trainee

It was working fine this morning. But I just got back from work... turned it on, and it posted fine, but wouldn't boot into XP. I inserted a bootable CD, but it would not get to the point of booting from it either.

At bootup, it shows that the HD's are recognized and the raid 0 setup is healthy... then it starts listing the PCI devices and gets stuck at "ACPI Controller (IRQ 9)".... it's a real bummer :(

Oh, and in case it's relevant: It allows me to go into the bios at the very beginning of the startup...

And in case this is relevant: when I turn off the computer using power button in the front... (NOT the analog PSU switch in the back), the optical ps2 mouse still stays on....

Here are the specs:
    AMD 4800+
    Asus A8N SLI Premium
    2 sets of Corsair TWINX Dual Channel 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz (2x512MB)
    Antec TPII 550 power supply
    Antec p180 case
    2x74gb WD Raptor drives - sata
    320gb WD Caviar drive - sata
    1 x evga 6600gt sli card

Any & all help would be REALLY appreciated...

Thanks,

-Jazz

2. ThePenguinCometh

ThePenguinCometh There is no escape

At first glance it looks like an IRQ conflict. The simplest way to test this is to unplug everything but the bare essentials (i.e. waste the hard-drives, CD/DVD drives, floppy drives, non-essential PCI cards, etc. and try booting again. It shouldn't give this error now though obviously it won't find an OS. Now plug the devices back in one at a time until the error appears again. This is not a sure-fire method of finding the error but would be where I woud start.

3. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

i agree it does fall mainly into an IRQ conflict, damn a 4800 and a raid on 74 gig raptors? i envy you my friend