Help Needed! Hard Shut-downs With No Tell-tale Signs.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Billy Blaze, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Billy Blaze

Billy Blaze Geek Trainee

Hey all, I've just signed up after running into a rather frustrating technical issue and stumbling across this site. Having very few spare components and a limited budget has made troubleshooting difficult, so it is my hope that somebody here can shed some light on this or at least point me in the right direction.

In short, my desktop PC is crashing (entire board powers down and does not automatically reboot, but will allow me to power back on instantly) when it gets put under load. Temp. readings, voltages and hardware aren't giving me anything to go by however, and I have cleaned / reconnected / reseated / regreased everything that I can think of, including disassembling the PSU and cleaning maticulously.

The only feedback Windows 7 has been giving me via eventvwr.exe is "6008", which generally reflects a thermal event I believe. Temperatures seem fine however, with the CPU maxing at around 66 degrees (celcius), GPU maxing at 77 degrees and the board temps maxing in the sub 50s. Fans are kept lubricated and are all functional, RAM has been reseated, tested, isolated etc, as has every other thing I can think of. I have not been able to replicate the crash in Safe Mode, nor using the plug & play legacy drivers with the card (am I correct in assuming that the GPU is basically not utilized when the correct drivers aren't there?), but I am able to replicate it when booting into Windows XP (with latest AMD drivers) and with any of the numerous versions of the AMD driver in Win7.

The other thing I find unusual about this is that it's a little random despite only occuring when under load. I am able to run Furmark for close to an hour sometimes before it'll crash, while other times it'll crash before even bringing me to the Windows login screen. Just now I once again resat the heatsink to the GPU with a tight fasten and it's being a lot more tolerant, still crashing with intensive video applications but it will happen long after the sensor updates and shows me that "77".

My specs are as follows (the rig is very dated but the board shows no signs of shorts or leaky caps):
    Board: GA-EP45-DS3
    CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz 2.67GHz
    GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6950 (Gigabye)
    PSU: CoolerMaster 850W RS-850-ESBA
    RAM: 4 x 1GB Kingston KVR800D2N5K202G @ 1.8v
    System: Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1
    HWMonitor readings: http://puu.sh/sYN7C/8752681209.png

Many thanks in advance, I'm sure you all understand how frustrating it is to have such little to go on.