Help Needed With Failing Hd

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by Sanne, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Sanne

Sanne Geek Trainee

Hi
    I hope I can get some help here.
    I'm danish so my translations of the messages I've got might not be
    correct but I think you'll get the meaning of it.
    I suddenly got the error message " windows delayed writing failed on F:/$mft or
    sometimes the same with F:/.data "
    I've got 2 harddrives and the HD F: is a SATA 300 GB ntfs which I use for storage
    of my important personal files.
    I've tried to do a chkdsk F: /f /r when doing step 2 " controlling the index " it stopped and this message appeared " there occured an undefined error ".

Then I did a chkntfs f: first the message said this drive is NTFS and then after a while the cursor started blinking and then the whol system froze.

I've tried to copy my files to another partiton but I can only copy a few and then the system freezes.

I just want to save my files at least the very important ones is there a
    program I can install on a bootable USB stick and bypass windows loading ?

Can anyone help a Lady in distress ;)

2. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

3. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

Or alternatively from same site, bootable Windows https://www.runtime.org/peb.htm

That is perhaps safer way as Linux does NOT officially support NTFS.

Anyway, for that Linux thing, you can basically take Linux that runs from CD/DVD/USB. Magic words are "Live Linux", choices https://livecdlist.com/

4. navyfalcon

navyfalcon Geek Trainee

Most manufactures have a diagnostic program for free to download. Copy it to disk or flash drive. Then use the portion you need.
    falcon

5. navyfalcon

navyfalcon Geek Trainee

6. Yevgeniy Kapishon

Yevgeniy Kapishon Geek Trainee

The fastest way to save your data would be installing your hard drive into an external enclosure and connecting it to a different machine. The freezing can be caused by a simple logical problem with a file system. If the issue is still not resolved by the recommendation, you might want to use some trial data recovery software program that do not restrict you in a any way, Google will be of help. If that does not resolve your problem, then you should maybe seek professional assistance. Do your research first though, so you do not end up giving your hard drive into the wrong hands.