HELP, not getting ANYTHING.

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by swanysto, Nov 12, 2004.

1. swanysto

swanysto Geek Trainee

I just got in my md64 3500 and my asus a8v deluxe, along with a gig of ram.
    I got to put these to together ( along with my 40gig ide, and my 52x cd rom drive, and my radeon 8500) and when I turn the computer on, I get NOTHING. The fans are all spinning, including the cpu fan. The motherboard light comes on, but nothing comes on screen, it doesnt click on or anything. Everything is installed correctly, and there is no burning smell. The thing that I thought was weird, is, there are absolutely no beeps. The motherboard usually gives you beeps if something is wrong.

This is a brand new MB and I was totally grounded the whole time. ( i was in an unfinished basement, with no carpet, working on a wood desk with a wodden chair, in nothing but boxers) <-- have made the mistake of putting it together in flannel pajamas on the living room carpet before, not good.

Do you guys think that I was sent a bad board? I dont think it is the compnents, the computer would still go into bios even with the HD not even connected, and the same with the cd drive. I dont think it is the ram, cause if it was installed wrong than it would burn. Plus we tried only using one stick instead of the 2, and got the same result.

Any help would be great.
    tia!
    Jonathan

2. Addis

Addis The King

Pretty common problem. You can try making sure all connections are ok etc and set all the jumpers correctly. Make sure that your CPU HSF is mounted correctly. Try booting with just the bare essentials, mobo cpu ram and video card. Have you got a good PSU?

3. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

yeah, and try the RAM in different slots. Could you try a video card you know is working?

4. swanysto

swanysto Geek Trainee

i know my psu and my vid card are good, cause I took them off a working computer. I will try the bare esentials thing. I am not sure what I would have to do to the jumpers though, they should come stock the way I need them, they always have anyways.

5. ninja fetus

Well, your Video Card may not be agp4x\8x compliant. Do you know if it is? if it is
    Try setting your motherboard on a flat non conductive surface, like your motherboard box, set all the components around it like PSU. Attach video, ram. CPU, heatsink attached. Boot. IF nothing then...I dunno

6. shan

shan Geek Trainee

These kind of problems will continue to happens as processor manufacturers make revisions to their processors that are not compatible with mobo BIOS versions that have already shipped.

What is the BIOS version printer on the BIOS chip sticker? Also, what are the numbers on the processor that identify it's revision?

If your AMD 64 3500+ cpu is Revision D your BIOS version MUST be 1007 or higher. Otherwise, no POST, no BOOT. If this is the case, you will have to update the BIOS to a new version. There in lies the BIG problem. If you system will not post, how can you update the BIOS? You can't. You will have to RMA the board to have Asus update the BIOS, OR borrow a non Revision D processor.

If the the processor is not Revision D, make sure that you have speakers attached to the audio out, or use headphones. You may be getting a voice POST message. If this is the case, unplug the power cable. Pull the CMOS battery for about 30 seconds. Re-install the CMOS battery, and switch the slots for your memory. Not different slots, just switch the dimms in the same slots.

If you post the processor serial numbers, I can confirm the revision.

7. swanysto

swanysto Geek Trainee

shan you have given me the best info yet, well i plugged my headphones in, and it said " sytem fail cpu test" , i am absolutely positive that the cpu is seated right, and the fan on top is seated as it is supposed to. I imagine that might mean that what you are saying is prolly the truth, or at least i am hoppping so. Do you think that is the problem, no that you have a little more info?

As for the number off the cpu, I cant really see them, cause I am afraid of pushing away the thermal compound, cause that is the only stuff I have(the stuff that cam one the heatsink).

Thanks for help
    Jon

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, you really should reapply it once you've removed the heatsink. I don't know what's in your area, but see if you can pick up some Arctic Silver 5. If not, there's some silver-based thermal compound from Cooler Master as well, and even some Dynex brand silver-based thermal paste at Best Buy.

Before you reapply the thermal compound, clean off both the heatsink and CPU with some isopropyl alcohol.

9. shan

shan Geek Trainee

Ok. I understand your concern about damaging the thermal pad. However, just so you know, the newer AMD processors will shutdown before overheating, at least they should. Not a guarantee, but a safeguard.

Try this...Without removing the heatsink...release the two clamps that hold the heatsink down. In effect, just to relieve the pressure. It is possible for the heatsink to be too tight and this has been known to cause problems as well. Once you have released the clamps, try to boot the system.

10. swanysto

swanysto Geek Trainee

ok, i tried the heatsink option, and it still gave me he same error. I did however get the info you wanted from the cpu and i got the bios settings on the mobo.

The stuff on the chip read as follows:
    ADA3500DEP4AW
    CBA2C0437DPMW
    1100934I40154

The bios version is 1007, and on asus website the newest ones look to be 1008.
    I was wondering.. can we pretty much rule out the MB as the problem, or is that still in play? Second, do you think a local place like microcenter or compusa would be able to flash these bios for me? (maybe i am reaching in saying compusa, cause they dont carry very many amd cpu's, but i gotta try) I am still waiting on a call from asus. I hate sending stuff away cause it takes forever to get stuff back, I would rather pay a little and get it done right away.

Thanks again, you have been very helpful
    Jon

11. shan

shan Geek Trainee

Ok. If the BIOS version is indeed 1007, then the BIOS update isn't required for your processor. Eliminating that possibility allows us to go through the rest without wasting any time.

I know that you mentioned that you tried to swap the RAM in the slots, what kind of RAM is it? This could be a very important factor. Let me know.

Did you pull the CMOS battery?

We'll get it working or get to the crux of the problem soon.

12. swanysto

swanysto Geek Trainee

well the memory is geil pc 3200.It is 2 sticks of 512, and we tried it with just one, and we also tried it/them in different slots. I did not however try the cmos battery yet. I wouldnt think it would be the memory though if the MB is telling me that there is a cpu fail. I dont know maybe. Right now all I dont even have the ram in there, I just have the cpu, and the power and my headphones. I followed some steps to on a tech site that said the mb should beep when it realizes there is no ram. My MB is not beeping at all though.

I am going to try the cmos battery and I will post.

Thanks
    Jon

13. swanysto

swanysto Geek Trainee

ok i took out the cmos battery and put it back in, and no luck.
    I have never had this much trouble with a computer ever.

thanks for you patience
    Jon

14. shan

shan Geek Trainee

I am checking on the compatability of the memory you are using with that motherboard. That may be the problem. Although Asus make great mobos with lots of features, they are very finicky. More soon.

15. swanysto

swanysto Geek Trainee

wow, I am really sorry. I feel soooooooooooo stupid.
    I decided that its best that I check over everything to make sure that there is nothing physically wrong. Well I come to find out that the 4 pin connector from my psu has one pin missing.AND IT IS A BRAND NEW PSU!!! That explains why the cpu wasnt getting power, and why my motherboard was not reading it. So I went and bought a new psu, and like magic my system starts up. UNBELIEVABLE!! I can believe I could be so stupid and careless.

I really appreciate you spending your time helping me, and I am sorry I wasted you time with something so small and stupid. I think next time I will buy a system from you, and forgo all the mess. Thank again, and I will definetely keep you in mind next time, as a matter of fact I put your site on my favorites and emailed it to myself also.

Thanks again
    Jon

16. ninja fetus

Well, it would only have been a waste of time with us if nothing was resolved. Glad you got your system up and running! It's not that stupid of a mistake, I've actually been puzzled out of my mind to find out that my power supply wasn't even plugged in! Anway that's a very odd thing from a power supply to be missing a pin...

17. shan

shan Geek Trainee

It's no problem. Forums are a good way to get help, but sometimes there is nothing better than being able to see it first hand. Glad it's working. Don't hesitate if you have more questions!!

18. bennyboy

bennyboy Geek Trainee

this was a good thread it's almost a shame that the solution was so simple in the end.

Hey shan really knows his stuff, can he help me, my thread is called "very strange!!! blank screen on start up"

http://www.hardwareforums.com/showthread.php?t=3232

please help!!!