Help!!! PC Tower wont turn on.

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by DSJ1988, Jan 14, 2007.

1. DSJ1988

DSJ1988 Geek Trainee

My computer was working fine and then we had a power cut, when i went to turn the computer on it wont come on at all, no noises, no lights, nothing...

My computer is a Hyundai imagequest qv770.

Thanks in advance

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

your PSU & maybe the mobo, grafx and / or CPU may have died if your not using a surge protector, if you are using a surge protector it may just need reseting or replacing (depending on the type)
    BTW try a working power cable

3. DSJ1988

DSJ1988 Geek Trainee

dont have a surge protecter and i have tried 2 or 3 different cables but still wont work...

4. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

more than likely you have a fried power supply,You are going to need another
    power supply... and make sure you get a surge protector...

5. NeloForster

NeloForster Source of Exyphetadolamin

Might as well try an ATX reset first before you spend your dosh on a component.

Take the power lead out, hold the power button on the front of your tower for about 25 seconds, put the power lead back in and see if it works. 25% of "No Power" problems at my workplace are solved by that. It's quick and easy and worth a try really :)

Mike

6. DSJ1988

DSJ1988 Geek Trainee

nope, ATX reset didnt work, thanks anyway.

7. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Before buying a new PSU, make sure that u test it with either someones computer or with a tester...

8. DSJ1988

DSJ1988 Geek Trainee

How do i test it?

9. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Just plug the PSU into another computer. If it doesn't work then your PSU is fried (bad) and if it does work then your components are fried (really bad).

10. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

You can also buy PSU testers which have an LED for each power wire which light up indicating that you're either getting or not getting juice from it.

11. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

I was going for a zero cost solution but yes, that will work too.

12. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Either just the PSU has been fried, or the whole system has too because i would of thought if the whole system got fried then the PSU would of too.

13. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

[ot] Don't you think that in this day and age, PSU manufacturers should sell the PSU with a small device, indicator, to help ascertain quickly whether there is any juice coming out of the PSU? All they really need is a a light bulb at the end os some male plug of some description. It's not like they have not got the materials.... [/ot]

From my experience, if a PSU or mobo die, there is some activity like fans spinning etc. From the description it sounds like a 'door-nail-dead' PSU. Have a simple inspection of the mobo to check for electrical burning marks (metallic shiny bluey colour) on the back of the mobo.