Help plz!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by ProcalX, Mar 12, 2004.

1. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

hey all, long time no post! ;)

i've brought some new parts to upgrade my younger brothers computer as i broook it lol :D

i have always overclocked using FSB, but i got told this is limited based on ur ram, as it can over heat it?

and so i was told about the "pencil trick" used on athlons and durons to unlock the multipliers.

i followed a guide on motherboards.org, did it as it said.. put it back into my bros machine, and it recognises CPU speed : AMD DURON 1300MHZ, it then detects all the IDE devices e.t.c then just doesnt do anything after dos.

its f*cked, any how i wanted to know how far i could overclock these specs by just using FSB:
    AMD Athlon 2200+ (1.83ghz)
    TwinMos pc2700 DDR
    Coolermaster heatsink for 3200+

and which is better for overclocking and speed, a DURON 1800 or a Athlon 2200+

i realise its not a fantastic system, but like i said its just for him to work on and play low-end games.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The pencil trick works on T-Bird core Athlons and all Duron's below 1GHz for sure. All other Socket A Athlons need to have the laser cut trench between the bridges filled first before you can connect the points.

As for overclocking...the Duron's seem to be doing pretty good from what I've been reading, but they also have less on-die cache enabled which likely helps to some degree.

3. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

right, ok well i have 2 cpu's coming this coming wednesday: a athlon T-Bred 2200+ (1.83ghz) and a Duron 1800, from what ive been seeing, the duron will clock higher and better, but which is the better chip? performance wise.

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

At stock speeds, the T-bred is the best.

5. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

ok, well i have a cooler master 3200+ and my case has:
    2 x 80mm case fans at the back, 1 inlet & 1 outlet
    1 x 80mm case fan on the side panel blowing out
    2 x 80mm case fans blowing cold air on to hdd.

so i shld be able to clock my 2200+ to around a 2ghz mark via fsb safely? (presumably).