Help! Random Black Screen Crashes And Occasional Reboots

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by amecurty, Apr 6, 2016.

1. amecurty

amecurty Geek Trainee

Hi guys.

I am sorry if this does not belong in this category.
    I'm having a problem that I don't know what could be the reason for it.

specs:
    cpu Intel i5 2500K 3.30GHz
    board Asus P8Z68-V PRO GEN3
    ram 4x2GB DDR3 PC3-12800 G-Skill
    gpu Geforce GTX 970
    drives SDD 250GB Crucial MX100+HDD 1TB Samsung HD103SJ
    psu Corsair TX 750W v2
    OS Win10 64bits
    (besides the gpu and sdd of maybe 1 year old.. everything has 4 to 5 years)

Here's the situation:
    Sometimes (pretty much every single day now..) mainly when I'm playing something a bit heavy (e.g Paragon) but also happens when I'm just browsing the web.. my monitor suddenly goes black. Sometimes after a few secs it turns back on with the message "Graphic kernel driver stopped responding and recovered etc" and I can go on with my life (but sometimes it still happens again..).
    Other times.. the screen keeps black and the only thing I can do is to power off and on my desktop.
    And other times.. is goes black and after a few secs my desktop reboots and displays the message that my CPU has overheated.
    Only yesterday I also noticed that if a hit the case with my knee.. the screen goes black and displays the driver message (don't know if it was just a coincidence.. because there was a delay between my knee hitting the case and the screen going off).

At first I thought it was because if the graphic driver (have been reading forums with people complaining about nvidia latest drivers). So I used DDU tool to completely uninstall the drivers and eliminate all traces.. and did a clean install of the drivers that came with the graphic card's cd. And also tweaked some settings like using optimal power for performance and switching off vertical sync in the 3d options and even adding the tdrdelay in the registry. Problems continue.

Now I'm thinking it might be a CPU problem.. I monitored with CPUID during a match and saw that the temps were above 90º (194F). While GPU was about 65-70ºC (149-158F).
    Well.. about that I intend to clean the inside of my case but only this weekend cause it's when I'll have the time for that unfortunately. And also need to pick up another can of air and thermal paste.

If the problems persist.. I will do a memtest.. to see if it might be related to some faulty ram.

And last hope how can I test the psu? to make sure it's not a power related issue.

I would like to know if anyone is or had any problem similar to this and probably guide me in the right direction. And just collecting opinions.
    I'm not a well informed user regarding computers so don't even know if what I wrote makes sense and if it's a good plan.

I would appreciate any thought on this!

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I know Windows 10 has had some issues, particularly when upgraded over Windows 7/8 instead of a clean install. May or may not be a factor here, but something to keep in mind.
    90*C is way too hot. If you want a second opinion from software, I would recommend CoreTemp, which uses the integrated sensor on the CPU.
    In the mean time, make sure the CPU cooler is securely installed and that the fan is spinning. If it isn't, get a new one. There are plenty of heat-pipe tower style coolers for $20-30 that use the push-pin mounting system the stock Intel cooler does. The same dimensions for the holes correspond to all 1155/6/0 sockets, and should be easy to find something inexpensive if you need.

amecurty likes this.
  3. amecurty

amecurty Geek Trainee

Thank you for helping!

Regarding windows.. it was a clean install. A lot less problems to worry about xD.

After cleaning the insides and applying new thermal paste I will be installing a new cooler cryorig H7.. just in case. Because I've just monitored a session without playing anything.. just browsing.. and I got 80º for the cpu cores. So I'm definitely installing a new cooler. I just hope I'm not too late for permanent damages to the cpu.
    If the problem goes away.. I think it will be safe to OC it.. no? And I'll keep monitoring it closely for the next few days.