Help with integrated sound

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by dannnyjos, Jun 28, 2005.

1. dannnyjos

dannnyjos Big Geek

I recently build a PC to use in our church so that we can display the PowerPoints, DVD's and stuff. The problem is that as soon as you connect the PC to the church's sound system, you starts to hear a very annoying noise, like static or interference of some kind. The soundcard is integrated, but I don't think it would be helpful to specify what brand is it; here's why. We tried 4 different desktop PC's on that line and still the same noise was showing. It's not that you can only hear the noise, you can also hear music and sounds, but the noise still remains. Now, here's the catch; we connected a Laptop to that same cable and voila, no noise!! I was like what the . . . :x: !!! Are Laptops that different from PC's? May be they have a special type of sound card?

I dont know, what do you guys think? Do you believe that the problem could be in integrated sound cards? I mean, do you think that if I buy a separate card (like Sound Blaster or so) it would solve the problem?

I just wanted your input because I don't have a bloody idea of how to solve this and I didn't want to spend $50 on a separate card and still not fix the problem.
    Anyways, thanks to anyone who can give me a suggestion.

2. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

it might help if you lower both sound levels to the middle and not to the top, that creates a deep bass or static, also before you connect it, make sure its off

3. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

as suggest above, I assume the OS is XP.

go to control panel > sounds and audio devices > volume tab > advanced > mute the "Line In" option or lower the volume.

4. dannnyjos

dannnyjos Big Geek

Yeah, I tried lowering the volume on all sound settings in Windows, to no effect. Can you think of anything else that might be causing this?

Also, I forgot to mention that the noise comes up as soon as you turn the PC on, well before Windows loads. Weird eh? :confused:

5. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

A shorted lead maybe? is it like feedback? if so try stretching the wire out as far as possible...if its all curled up it casues feedback and electro magnetic interference

dannnyjos likes this.
  6. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

emi huh ? try keeping the cable away from other electronic devices

dannnyjos likes this.
  7. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

yeah music tech studying helps with this :D thats the reason i got this machine, for recording (hence the audigy 2 sound card and basic 128Mb graphics card) now its used for everything! Yeah make sure your leads are all plugged in correctly (at the other end as well) also are you using a mono lead with a stereo female connector on your computer, it will only power one speaker and can cause weird sounds...make sure its stereo leads and stereo output and input on the speaker box (unless you have to route it to each individual speaker in which case get a splitter and run mono to each one)

8. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Move anything thats magnetic or electronic away from it.

dannnyjos likes this.
  9. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

yeah big reason i got mine was recording, i got Reason 3.5, my guitar, and my friend with his guitar haha (my friend and his guitar came free)

10. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

yeah i got my mixer, bass, 2 guitarist friends in my band, 1 drummer, 2 singers :D all good, lol got a lot free (guitarists, drummer, singers lol) they all gr8 people and we do some recording, not a lot at my house, usually at our drummers house on his (dare i say it in a pc forum) :swear: mac :swear:

11. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

all right, you talk about your full band, then ill talk about my full band, yah im guitarist/vocalist, my friend is a guitar/vocalist we got a drummer, and a bass

small band but we're probably more into the vocals then the music, like brand new and greenday, we dont sound like them, but we're on the same concept

12. dannnyjos

dannnyjos Big Geek

Well, what you all say makes sense :agree: .

The noise is not feedback though. We tried the PC in the Pastor's office and the noise went away completely, but of course, the computer needs to be in the temple. I was wondering . . . there's no other electrical device close to the PC. The closest thing is the projector (like 10 ft away).

Now, there are some power and telephone lines running right next to the PC (like 2 inches away). The computer itself is even connected to one of those. Do you think that might be causing some interference? It's just that what zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG and 01bolandn said caught my attention. Could those power cables be causing some kind of EMI? I'm just asking because I know nothing about electronics.

Any thoughts?

13. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

I could be wrong but yes I think it could

14. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

experiment a little, take different connections out and see if any particular ones cause then you can find the source of the problem

15. dannnyjos

dannnyjos Big Geek

Allright guys, will experiment doing different things. I'lll tell you how it went later ;) .