Help With Psu For New System

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by neilhopkins, Jan 20, 2005.

1. neilhopkins

neilhopkins Geek Trainee

I am building a new pci-express system based on a amd 4000+,gigabyte n-force 4 pci-e motherboard,pci-e ati x800xt 256mb graphics,1gb ram etc.
    I know i need a atx2.0 psu but will 350w be enough or will i need more power, can you help ?

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

That's some pretty hefty hardware, and while a good 350W might work, I don't know if I'd personally go with just a 350W to be on the safe side. If you really want something good, get a PC Power & Cooling 510W, but those are rather expensive at around $200. Sparkle/Fortron (same company, two differen brands), Enermax, Thermaltake or Antec are brands we recommend around here, particularly the first two.

This Enermax 470W Noisetaker has nice amps that will give you plenty of breathing room. It's a little on the pricey side, but the PSU is not something you want to skimp on. If the Enermax is too rich for you, this Thermaltake 420W Purepower also has some nice rails.

If you don't go for these units, just keep in mind that the wattage doesn't mean crap. Sure, you can buy a 600W unit for $35, but, it's amerages are closer to that of a 350-400W unit of the brands I listed.