Hiper PSU disappointment

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by megamaced, Sep 10, 2008.

1. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Just over a year ago I purchased an Hiper PSU for under £30. Pretty cheap for a PSU I must say, but I expected it to last longer than it has. A couple of days ago, the Hiper PSU started making squealing noises, at least, I am 90% sure its the PSU. Yesterday my PC didn't switch on. I had to use the power switch on the PSU to switch off, then on again. At which point, the squeeling resumed but I could switch on my PC after a couple of attempts. Today, my PC won't switch on whatever I do.
    I've checked the caps on my Asrock motherboard and they are fine. I can't see the caps inside the PSU.

So it looks like I am in the market for a new PSU and I certainly won't touch Hiper again. I don't think they deserve their place in the recommend brands in the PSU stick :(

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

true, about the price a case with a crappy generic PSU free was[ot]i'm way out of touch on prices nowadays[/ot]
    dunno, personally, i will only let myself buy Antec[ot]i remember - CWT - CableWell Technology, did they make Antec & somebody else's PSUs ?, wiki page gone[/ot]

3. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

The Hiper HPU-4S350 PSU is still under warranty but I thought bugger it. So what if they fix or replace it? I will have to pay for postage and still end up with a PSU that is likely to perish in a year.

So i've purchased a Seasonic S12 II 380W PSU. I've heard nothing but praising reviews of Seasonic PSUs, plus I used to own a rather ancient Seasonic 200W PSU for a Pentium 3 system and had no bother with it. Hopefully it will arrive this week and my life will be sane once more...