HIS X700 Pro

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by Matt555, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Okay so I might have some money soon (a few weeks maybe) which I might use to upgrade my graphics card, I dont want amazing blistering performance, just something better than my current MSI GF FX 5200.
    I've been looking at the X700 series cards and they look quite good. The HIS X700 Pro caught my eye because of its neat cooler. Having read the reviews I know that the cooler is quiet as its an Actric Cooling cooler :D

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/9700_to_9800_Series.html

Its the first one on that page, I'm looking at the 128MB version as i dont need a 256MB card, plus I dont want to spend more than about £100.
    I don't game a lot but there's a game I've been playing recently called Knight Online and my current card is very laggy and slows the game right down, I just want something that doesn't cost much money but will increase my performance a bit.
    Just wondering what you all thought of the card and advice/feedback from anyone with the card would be awesome.
    Also if anyone spots it anywhere cheaper please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

2. Addis

Addis The King

I would actually recommend the GF 6600GT over the X700, slightly better performance.

3. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

i'll have to have a look, what are the coolers usually like on those things? i dont want a loud cooler and i hear the one on the HIS is extremely quiet...since i got the new PSU i'm a noise freak and dont want it loud...it would spoil my quiet computer efforts

4. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

get 6600gt, its alot better, dont just get the x700 pro becouse it looks better.

5. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

hmm might do, what 6600 should i get? i mean there are so many companies making them what is a good card for around £100?

6. Willz

errm, get an asus 6600gt

or maybe one of those dual core 6600gt's, are they any good, better than 6800gt's/ultra's?

7. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

i dont need a dual core 6600GT...just something that will slightly improve performance on an online game, i'll be at university next year and wont use this computer very much (it'll be left at home) which is why i dont want to spend a lot of money, i need to save it for my laptop next year.

8. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

i know that the 6600 is better but i'm still drawn to that HIS X700 Pro...i dont know why but i would choose that over the 6600GT and i cant explain why i would...(probably the extremely cool cooler and the fact its arctic cooling, i cant resist!)

9. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

If you want to 'slightly' improve your performance why are you getting a X700?
    A 9600 or 9800 Pro/XT would do the job just fine!

10. Willz

no, a 9600 would not do the job just fine, there not that better than an fx 5200 exept they have mega overclocking potential, stick with the x700pro, i thought they was an x700xt :s

11. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

eVGA, XFX and Chaintech brands are likely to be your cheapest options for video cards.

12. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

cool i'm also running linux and i dont game on it so the only game i play is knight online on windows, i've heard there are problems with ati and linux? i would get the 6600 but i really am drawn to the his x700 pro, and i dont know why....i would just choose that over the 6600gt (i probably am being strange and choosing a lower card but i like it)

13. Willz

infact, get the x800gt, thats got better performance than 6600gt and it can be chaper than x700

14. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Uh guys, he's using AGP 8x, X800GT's for him unfortunately.
    Gigabyte usually makes quiet cards. If you can find their model with passive cooling that would be totally silent obviously but fairly hot.
    http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/components/graphicscards/productView.htm?quicklinx=3K55
    I would still prefer the X700Pro myself, the cooler looks awesome and a quiet card is important to me too. If I were you I'd get that. The performance loss under the 6600GT is minimal when it comes down to it, so unless you'd love to play Doom3 it's not big deal. I never know the X700's came in a AGP flavor, thanks for the link:)

15. Willz

16. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

the HIS X700 Pro is AGP 8x, and its got that really cool cooler, i think i'll get that one as i just want it, well time to wait for my 18th in less than a month, then i should have some money to spare (asking for money for my birthday, saving most of it for my laptop next year as i currently have no job)

17. Willz

get an x800gt, they do come in agp 8x.

18. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Sorry I just corrected my self about the X700 above but the X800GT is news to me:good:

19. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

I cant find the X800GT anywhere, but even so, i may not like the cooler :p heh, having passive cooling on my current crappy GF FX 5200, means its quiet, and i want quiet now so i'll see what else i can find, if i dont see anything I like then i may just stick with the X700 Pro...

20. Willz

well, as i said, x800xt pe stock cooler, silent.
    so what do you want, another crappy card that is better than your current card which is silent?
    or a good card which is louder than your old card by a little bit?