Honest opinion

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Stinger, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Stinger

Stinger Geek Trainee

Hey guys well i have an AMD athlon xp 2500+ and a Asus A7v8x-x

I just went to the computer store and bought a Amd athlon 64 processor 3200+. I Also bought an Asus A8V mobo.

Do you think this a good upgrade for me and i play half life 2 dm alot so i want to see better performance. what do you think i know it will be an upgrade but by how much? thx

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I don't know what the rest of the system is, but you may have been better served with a video card upgrade and adding more RAM than a new CPU and motherboard. Again, I don't know what else you had, so it's hard to say definitively.

3. Stinger

Stinger Geek Trainee

450 watt psu
    40 gig hd
    768 mb of ram

4. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

I'd say its a pretty good buy, although you maybe should have looked into a new mid-end PCI-e card to compliment your A64 CPU, then you would see a real increase in framerate. my 2 cents.

5. Stinger

Stinger Geek Trainee

i also agree withe pci e but i just didnt have enough money for a better mobo wit a pci e slot and i didnt have enough cash for a new vid card.

i forgot to mention what my vid card was.

ato radeon 9500 OC 9700

6. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

Yeah, that should be a pretty decent gaming rig. Since you have the A64 support now, try loading some games up in WinXP_x64, or an x64 linux distro :)

7. Stinger

Stinger Geek Trainee

ok i need help real bad please.

I installed the new mobo and cpu and other stuff ex vid card and wireless card ram. i push the power button on my case and everything powers up but my monitor will not display anything at all the screen just stays black. my monitor littlelight at the bottom will be orange if the computer is not on and the monitor is and when the monitor is on and the case is on the little light will go green(when i had my last hardware before all this new stuff)

i don't hear any beeps on start up either.

8. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

have you cleared cmos, or tried booting up with just psu, cpu, motherboard ,videocard, one stick of ram?

9. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

Be sure you've disabled the onboard video on the motherboard before trying to use an expansion video card. If its disabled, make sure your expansion video card has the necessary power, some require 4 pin floppy power cables, and some require molex power cables. If this fails, clear the cmos by moving the jumper to its alternate position and back, or remove and re-insert the battery.

Hope this helps~

10. Stinger

Stinger Geek Trainee

THe video card doe require the 4 pin extra thing and that is installed on it. i have tried the 1 mobo 1 ram 1 vid card and psu. i have just tried taking out my battery for 30 seconds. The jumpers is what confuses me so i am confused about clearing the cmos? i am pretty sure i have the little "jumpers" i think they are called at the bottom right hand of my mobo connected properly. i follwed what my manual told me but the manual refers to a ide led . i dont have a jumper that says that but i do have a 1 that sais HDD led?

A far as i know my mobo does not have onboard video? i only know this by looking at the back and not seeing any plus to plug my monitor into? btw thx very much for helping me

11. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

if you have a jumper on something that says HDD led, EEK!!
    that's supposed to power the LED that will blink displaying hard drive activity!

12. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

If you have removed and re-inserted your CMOS battery, then there is no need for moving around jumpers, its just a lazy mans way to do it(I do it all the time). If you do not have a blue VGA port on the back of your mobo, then you don't have onboard video. HDD LED displays hard drive activity, and PWR LED should be always on, showing that the system is powered. IDE LED = HDD LED fyi.

Ok I'm assuming you've checked the monitor to video card connection and it's secure and all the pins are not bent, etc. At what point is the video card failing, or where does the screen cut out during boot up?

13. Stinger

Stinger Geek Trainee

what i do is first i turn on the monitor and then power up my pc. the pc powers up fine but the monitor doesnt do a thing?

14. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

Is the card properly seated in the AGP slot? Make sure it's in there good and firm.

15. Stinger

Stinger Geek Trainee

yes it is properly seated. :( im so worried now

16. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

Hmm...How long have you had it overclocked for? And what were the temps like? It finally might have given out under the stress. Other then that, try a different video card(one you know that works) in the slot, if it works, then its a problem with your video card. If it doesn't, then It's more then likely a motherboard issue -- either BIOS or hardware wise.

17. Stinger

Stinger Geek Trainee

The video card? well i bought it off a friend and he had it Overclocked and i have had the card for 6 months now

18. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

Try a video card you know that works.

19. Stinger

Stinger Geek Trainee

Ok its up and running now :) :) what i had to do what plug in this 4 pin thing at on the mobo at the top left hand side of the mobo. i guess for power. anyways i boot up and it tells me NO primary master HDD drive found press F1 to continue. so i press F1 and it bots up XP and after 1 min it reboots and it keeps rebooting everytime i try to get in and install things? 1 time my monitor told me on the reboot frequency over range? Do you know what is happening?

if i boot up the system and touch anything it seems to stay up but as soon as i move the mouse to go to my computer it reboots

20. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

Oh right the square 4 pin power cable. I assumed you would have plugged that in :p. As for the moving the mouse and rebooting problem, I have not a clue.