how can i transfur files from my desktop to my laptop

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by lowIQ, May 20, 2006.

1. lowIQ

lowIQ Geek Trainee

without using cds and dvds. can i connect them with a ethrenet cable or somthing to tranfur files that way or somthing please help :(

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

in a word, yes, wether it be by addin an ehernet card to the desktop (probably one integreated into laptop) then just network the 2 computers by using a RJ45 patch cable, or you could use an IrDA adaptor lik this and obviously use the laptops built in IrDA port

IrDA = Infra Red Data Access

3. lowIQ

lowIQ Geek Trainee

i think i have a RJ45 patch cable i think 1 came with my wireless net gear modem how do u network the 2 togeter m8 i have a marvel ethrenet driver installed on the desktop pc

like u said the laptop has a IrDA point on the back but i dont whant to regularly transfur data between computers this is a sort of 1 of i whnna just transfur 10 gigs from 1 pc to the other so i dont realy whant to perchace 1

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

A crossover/patch cable will allow you to do that. Once you're done, you can simply unplug the cable. Assuming you have an RJ-45 jack on both systems, you can use a crossover cable (it MUST be a crossover cable for direct PC to PC connections, or this will not work).

As long as they're on the same network and the appropriate folders or drives are shared, you can transfer things. Outside of that, you're looking at burning it to disc and using that to do your transfers.