How do you check your email?

Discussion in 'Tablets, Phones and Music Players' started by zeus, Feb 19, 2007.

1. zeus

zeus out of date

I want to be able to check my emails on a mobile phone but when I look at the pay as you go sim cards they all want to charge a subscription allowing email.

How is it you can go on the internet on your phone (0.73 p/kb max £1) and not check your email?

I dont get it! I also dont want to pay £7.50 a month to check my emails.

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

although i've never used my mobile to check my email, i would have thought you just needed to enter your
    • Username
    • Password
    • POP
    • SMTP
    good luck, & let me know if you sort it[ot]cos i might give it a go[/ot]

3. zeus

zeus out of date

Donkey, thanks for the reply.
    I wasnt going to respond until I tried what you suggested.

I was going to use a phone I won on ebay and expected it to arrive by now. I got an email from ebay saying the item had been deleted because it breached ebay policy. Ive paid for it but havent got a response from the seller yet. I might not get to try it for a while.

See if you can see whats wrong with this......
    eBay.co.uk: Orange SPV E100 Phone/Pda (item 280082484826 end time 18-Feb-07 22:15:44 GMT)
    It does say "Please Note: our Orange connection offers are available to UK customers only" so maybe your not allowed to trade tariffs on ebay. I was gonna use a T mobile sim anyway.

If it turns up I 'll let you know how I get on with the email.

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

first contact ebay here, and describe the situation to them, they'll probably suggest mailing the seller, then contact us again if they haven't responded in about 3 days

that phone is LOCKED on orange
    so, you will need to have it unlocked / unblocked if you want to use it on T-Mobile (orange can unlock it, or "cough" you could NOT take the phone to some dodgy bloke that runs a market stall to unlock it "cough"
    no, just get it unlocked[ot]"cough" you also could NOT try some phone unlocking website "cough cough"[/ot]

BTW: phones are not locked on a tariff, they are locked on a network (T-Mobile, Orange, O2 & Vodaphone, also some mobile providers use the network of others (e.g. "cough" Virgin Mobile are NOT using T-Mobile's network "cough"))[ot]"cough" you could also NOT try googling your phone model and "unlock" or "unblock" "cough cough"[/ot]

thankies

5. zeus

zeus out of date

I got through to the seller. Apparently it was the photograph which ebay didnt like. Its still there so it cant be that bad.

6. donkey42

donkey42 plank

so, is the seller sending you the phone ?
    any luck with "cough" the NOT unlocking thing ? "cough cough"

7. zeus

zeus out of date

Yeah, he sent it. Hopefully ill get it tormorrow.

There is an entire forum on the spv phones and there are a few unlocking tools so with a bit of luck ill manage to do it myself.
    quote from the forum....
    "It so easy to use..around 4 to 5 mouse clicks then youll be able to get it unlocked."

Its about time I learned all this mobile phone crap, being the only computer geek on the estate I get asked about them all the time.

8. donkey42

donkey42 plank

like me a while ago, i was the camp (village) electrician, although i never had any qualifications[ot]but with th law being the way it is, you need to be quailfied to have a sh1t[/ot]

BTW: good :beer:

9. zeus

zeus out of date

Well in the end I just went to inbox, entered my username, password and email server details and clicked on Send/Receive and it worked. It seems to be priced at the price of the wap service.

Why T-Mobile charge £7.50 a month for email I dont know!

Its my first phone in 7 years! and I love it. Its 5 years old but its got mp3, wmv, wma, n all that, 1gb sd card and MS Windows CE. I only really want it for when I go on bike rides.... its a map (sat nav if I buy the sdio gps addon) and a way of getting people to bring me petrol when im in the depths of North Wales. The music and video n stuff are just something to keep me entertained while im waiting :)

Thanks for the help donkey.... I may well have signed up for a £7.50 a month addon as I expected people to say id have to pay this.

10. chronic2005

chronic2005 Geek Trainee

I pay that 7.50:p

On my vario 2, its definately worth the money. Access to all my email, msn, the net and i can hook it up to my laptop and use the phone as a modem SCORE.

11. donkey42

donkey42 plank

well apparently, you don't need to, i may give it a try, obviously when my bank balence looks a bit healthier, as using WAP is expensive
    because people are daft enough to pay it, rather than doing a bit of research[ot]like you did zeus[/ot]

12. zeus

zeus out of date

It depends on how much you use it really. Its gonna end up costing a £ a day if you download the whole message of each email. But if you subscribe its 25p a day.

T Mobile dont go out of their way to let you know you dont need to subscribe though. Non of the operators do. Orange charge £17.99 to enable email on your blackberry, id imagine its the same as t mobile.

13. liciniusjack

liciniusjack Geek Trainee

I don't have so much emergency for checking my email on mobile as like you all. But yes i have a tool bar on my laptop for logging in that alert me after every 10-15 minutes about my new emails. This is the easiest way to know for me to know my emails.