How do you tell if a cooler is compatible with your motherboard?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by stair314, May 5, 2009.

1. stair314

stair314 Geek Trainee

Buying a cooler for the first time. If you saw my earlier post, you know I bought one that was listed as compatible with my CPU socket, but it didn't actually fit on my motherboard. Is there a good way to know if a given cooler will fit on a given motherboard?
    Anyone using an MSI P7N Platinum SLI that can recommend a good cooler?

2. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Look, lots of companies these days design products with issues. If they took it back like you said they did then its obviously their problem.
    Your socket type is LGA775 so i would look for another, copper based heatsink that has better reviews and performs better too. Of course, there's always that risk that it won't fit into your motherboard but its very rare. Make sure you read the "customer reviews" and any warning they may give you.

3. Pimp

Pimp Captain of USS Defiant

One can argue that the mobos are designed badly it's not the fault of the manufacturer of the CPU heat sink, how about going on the website of the CPU cooler manufacturer and finding out which mobo it is compatible with.

These days we get so many huge heat sinks on the mobo for north & south brdige interconnecting copper pipes going all over the mobo making it ever more dificult to fit a CPU cooler on :doh: