How far can I overclock?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Exfoliate, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Hey guys, I want squeeze out a little extra juice from my XFX GF 6800 128MB card. How much do you think I can overclock the memory and core? I also plan to use RivaTuner to unlock the 4 pipelines and 1 vertex shader, have any of you used it before, is it any good? Thanks.

2. Addis

Addis The King

The stock speeds of that card is 325MHz/700MHz so you may be able to get it to around 350/740 ok. But it does depend on the individual card.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I've used Riva Tuner before and it's a nice program. The unlocking part, no.

4. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

As for overclocking i would Google it and search for other people's overclocking experiences as per your card/model/manufacturer.. e.t.c

You can usually find a rough idea as to what you can expect, but as is the same with any overclocking - don't just crank it up and hope it works as you can damage your card, if not fry/break it.

So take it in small steps, and test each small overclock with all the standard benchmarks for overclocking - 3Dmark03/05

Personally i can't see any good reason except for having a benchmarking ego (ie: i have to beat someone else's score..) to bother overclocking this card yet let alone open up the extra pipelines and vertex shaders - their's no need even with high end games such as Doom3 or HL2 set at max..

5. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Alright, thanks everyone!