How hot can it go?

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by sabashuali, Jul 18, 2005.

1. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Hi all

I know I have contributed to a few threads regarding temps. but....

Can anyone advise (and save me the ploughing through tons of FAQ's on the ASRock site :confused: ) how hot should I allow my mobo to get?

I have an ASRock P4V88.

Thanks for all your input.

:good:

2. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Generally speaking you don't want anything getting above 50*C. With the Cpu you can perminantly damage and or decrease it's life span as you go further beyond the 50* mark. Graphics cards are more forgiving and can take higher temps but you want them below 80 for sure. As for motherboards I'd say this goes pretty much hand and hand with the cpu here as both are delicate pieces or hardware obviously, so make sure it's under 60* anyway. What's it at now.

sabashuali likes this.
  3. Addis

Addis The King

Not really higher core voltages cause a decrease in CPU lifespan. AMD CPUs were rated up to 70c in peak, but more close to 60c constant.
    50c is ok for load, but not for idle as idle should be closer to about 32c at room temp.

sabashuali likes this.
  4. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Right....

Thank you both for your input.

I have a 3Ghz Pressy running with retail H/S+fan.
    My idle temp is around 45C and 55C playing or video editing.

My mobo runs around 30C on average at idle with 40-42C under load.
    As all of you have noticed, summer is upon us and my (own built) system is struggling to keep cool.
    Assuming HMonitor readings are correct, I would like to set a ‘safety shutdown’ point so no damage will occur.

So my question really is – when shall I press the panic button?
    At what point should HMonitor say: “That’s it son, I can hear the fat one singing”?

Thanks again for all you guys’ inputs.

5. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

panic button would be a worst case scenario I'm guessing but on the matter of a safe side, I'd guess 60 would definately be a time to think about extra cooling, though intel cpus are known for getting hot. the mobo temp like ex said shouldn't go over 50, those temps might still be safe, but high temps like that, can endanger your components or computer.

still think about up[ping the cooling a little maybe 10 or 20$ to lower the temps down

what fans or cooling setup do you have?

sabashuali likes this.
  6. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

hehe, There's no reason to let it get to 80*C, that's hot even for a 'Pressy'. 70 happens under load with inadequate cooling but you want to avoid that as well. I take it you're using a stock cooler? Concider upgradeing to something more robust, like an Arctic Cooling Freezer 4:), I do belive that's compatable with your socket but I may be wrong.

sabashuali likes this.
  7. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

like I said before, can you explain your cooling setup?

sabashuali likes this.
  8. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Hi

Thanks again.

I have the retail H/S+fan as mentioned.
    To cool my cornflakes-box of a case, I am using one smart fan to blow out (if only I could spell exhaust.....) and a constant RPM fan sucking air in (over my hard drives... yes I thought about it myself :p )
    My ASUS Radeon 9200SE GCard has no active cooling.

Money is not an issue - I have none to spare so upping the cooling set-up will be a bit difficult....

Thanks!

9. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

is the smart fan a 80mm or 120mm

does your PSU exhaust? it would help, also a quick fact is that many PSUs actually blow air in, so you may want to check if you'd want to reverse the fans to make it spit the air out. but watch out, its dangerous to play with PSU parts, even if its unplugged, you still may get shocked so I'd recommend not play with it actually

wait, haha are you willing to buy or not?

sabashuali likes this.
  10. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

sabashuali likes this.
  11. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

but if you don't want to spend too much these are perfectly fine
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ice=&MaxPrice=&SubCategory=62&Submit=Property

with the cpu cooler I'd agree with ex, its copper, and also 120mm i believe thats the version, it should lower your CPU temps at least 10 degrees respectively im guessing

also some Arctic Silver 5 compound for 7$ can lower temps from chipsets or CPUs a quite nice bit for such a small cost

sabashuali likes this.
  12. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Yeah the 3rd one down, the Masscool, looks pretty good, decent airflow/noise for the price.

sabashuali likes this.
  13. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Go for an Arctic Freezer 4, i bought one and its cheap, plus with some arctic silver 5 it'll get temps down just that little bit more, i havent seen any major temperature drops yet but it has been very hot round here for a couple of weeks now, isnt right for england (musnt junx it though) its idling at around 32*C which is a drop on an average day's temps, so i'm thinking a couple of degrees more (as the air being sucked into the case and over the heat sink is warm a drop in air temp should drop case temps by a few degrees and maybe even cpu temps)

sabashuali likes this.
  14. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Again the forum does not disappoint.... :D

Thanks guys for all your advice.

At the end of the day, I am very short on the ol' bread.
    However, I do see the need to drop a few more degrees.

I have to say I am not that concerned about my CPU. I think I am just not moving enough air through the case. By the way my PSU blows out but only have one fan which is pointing outward (it is a generic one which came with the cornflakes box.
    As my case fans are simillar or better than the ones in your links, I think I might opt for 120mm fans. Unfortunately, as my case only accomodate 80mm fans, I might have to go for adaptors. In any case, the Zalman is way out of my league price wise. I did however see cheaper AF 4 on eBay. I might try and save for that.

15. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

cool man, wish ya luck

sabashuali likes this.
  16. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

You can also mod your stock HSF and put a better fan on it. I did that on my last computer when it started idling at 56-57* C (ahhh the plight of the Pressy).

17. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Really?

I did not know you can do that! :O :eek: :swear:

You wouldn't happen to have a guide I can follow?
    Or a sketch?

Many thanks for everyone's replies by the way.

18. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

You basically unscrew your old fan from the Heatsink and screw another in haha

as long as the screws are located on the corners and the fan is matched up to a certain fan size, for example 80,92, or 120mm then you're fine

a picture would help