How hot is too hot?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by krinks, Mar 6, 2004.

1. krinks

krinks Geek Trainee

Hi there,

I have the following system:

Asus A7V8X-X motherboard
    500MB Kingston Value RAM (400mhz, PC3200)
    AMD Athlon 2500XP
    ATI Radeon 9600 (current drivers)
    Creative Labs SB Live! Value (current drivers)
    PCI USB Card (4 external/1 internal ports)
    80GB hard drive
    Lite-On CD-R drive
    Lexmark X93 color printer/scanner
    Hewlett Packard P1100 21” monitor
    Monsoon Speakers
    Logitech Cordless MX duo (mouse/keyboard)
    Logitech Freedom 2.4 Cordless Joystick
    Logitech QuickCam
    Logitech Wingman Cordless gamepad
    500W power supply

My processor is running at around 1.4ghz at the moment, and I noticed that there is an option in my BIOS to increase the processor speed. My question is #1--if I do this, how hot is too hot for my processor to be running for extended periods? #2--What else do I have to set in the BIOS for the chip to be running at that speed? I'm not really sure what speed is normal for the 2500XP. Some guidance would be greatly appreciated.

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Well, that all depends on whether you have a thoroughbred-core 2500+, or a Barton core. The TBred is clocked at 2.0~GHz, a FSB of 266MHz, and an L2 cache of 256k. It runs hotter than the barton core, and doesn't quite perform as well. The Barton core 2500+ runs at 1.83~GHz, has a 512k L2 cache, a 333-400MHz FSB, and outperforms the TBred despite the fact that the clocks are lower. It also runs substantially cooler, and lends itself to much better overclocking. With either processor, the maximum temperature rating for extended use is 60*C (120*F). I prefer to keep them cooler than that, but that's the most you can get by with.

3. krinks

krinks Geek Trainee

I'm not sure what core I have.

Hm...it seems to me that my temperature is running hotter than 60*C. I'll have to double check later, since I'm at work right now, but I seem to remember seeing that the temperature reading in the BIOS was about 62*C and a temperature cutoff of (I believe) 90*C. My cooling fan will support up to an XP 3200 though, so I don't know if I'm reading that right or not. Maybe I just need more cooling fans in my case or something.

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

A good heatsink can help as well, but you may just need to clean off your current one (and the CPU core as well) and reapply a thin layer of thermal compound---preferrably Arctic Silver.

5. Anti-Trend

B's right, bad (or no) thermal interface material can definately impair the efficiency of your heatsync. It wouldn't hurt to take the 'sync off, blast it with some canned air, and throw some arctic5 on there. Also, even with a killer heatsync you can overheat if your chassis isn't moving enough air. If the inside of your chassis is running at 63*C, you can't really expect your CPU to run any cooler, now can you? These days, a good chassis can be pretty inexpensive, so just replacing a problem chassis is a viable option.

6. krinks

krinks Geek Trainee

Well the system's pretty new. I just overhauled it in mid-January, and I had it open about 2 weeks ago to put in a DVD-ROM drive, and everything looked okay. Wasn't much dust, and I did blast the dust that I did see.

Also ... I just checked the hardware monitor, and it says my board temp is at 42*C and the chip is at 57.5*C. I think I'd still like to get a good cooling fan since I don't know if that's still a bit on the high side.

7. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

It's on the high side.

You at least need to get the temperature below 50C at idle.

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yeah, it is kinda high. You can get some pretty cheap coolers that work very well for a small price. Thermalright's SK-7 runs about $25 for the heatsink itself, but you can use most fans 60-80mm.

The other thing is the airflow in your case. While a new heatsink is probably in order anyway, it's effectiveness will be hampered if you don't have proper airflow through the case.

9. krinks

krinks Geek Trainee

Well, I just bought some new round cables for my hard drive/floppy/CD drives, and installed them. I also installed some monitoring software to keep an eye on things, and my temperature has gone down somewhat.

The software (Motherboard Monitor 5) is telling me that my average CPU temperature is now 51*C with an average board temp of 39*C. This seems better to me than it was, but I'm still going to buy a case fan and throw it in there. It can't hurt :)

10. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

yeah 51C is a lot better and adding another case fan, depending on where you add it and which one it is will certainly help the system temp, thus helping the cpu temp.

11. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Airflow is critical through a system, so a few well placed fans will certainly help you quite a bit.

12. krinks

krinks Geek Trainee

13. Anti-Trend

That vent cooler will work fine, assuming the exhaust is not being bottlnecked by air intake. Many systems suffer poor ventilation that is caused by lack of intake, which in turn limits the amount of hot air the exhaust fans can expell from the system. If you don't have adequate intake, there's really no reason to add another set of exhaust fans. Chances are that the ones you already have are probably not even working to capacity. In this case the logical solution would be to replace the whole chassis, choosing a replacement with cooling in mind.

14. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

i got a 1.8 celeron
    256pc2100
    onboard video
    no idea what motherboard-i got it off an emachines

when i start up a game i crank up my blower, but my cpu temp climbs like crazy. then i lower it and the temp drops. every time i crank up my blower idle or under load my temp shoots up. usually about 5-7 degrees farenheit.
    my idle temp on my cpu is 82 and under load its about 96-99

im thinking its just how i have my fans set. i have a blower on top of case
    80mm fan blowing in, on rear
    80mm fan blowing in, on window

how should they be, i have no clue.

15. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

The fan on the top should be an exhaust fan, the fan in the rear also, and the fan on the side should be an intake.

The problem here is that you will have two exhaust and one intake, so I suggest you add another intake in the front of the case.