How hot is too hot?

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding and Gallery' started by Waffle, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Without taking apart the case and sticking your finger on the chip/card, what's the easiest way of checking the temp of the PC?

I have three case fans, one on the top, and two somewhere else. It's pretty noisy, but keeps things cool when idle, but come game time, there is warmth from the back of the case (obviously) - so roughly how hot should this air be? I can put my hand over the case and not have to move it, just sorta warming.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

If your system doesn't crash or lock up during intensive stuff (gaming, for example), it's not too hot. You should have the hot air going out of the system.

What kind of temps are you getting? If you don't know, you can use Asus PC Probe (which I really dislike), or motherboard monitor or speedfan. (hit up google)

3. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

nah, no lock ups, etc. Even when running Far Cry on max everything and 1600x1200, which i am pleased to say works perfectly. (2x fsaa)

I basically stuck a thermometer just outside the vents on the back. Read 27 degrees. so, i'm guessing its all ok.

that was just the air though.

i will try a program or something.

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The exhaust temps are pretty much irrelevant. The temps of your CPU actually mean something.

5. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

i replaced my stock heatsink for a coolermaster 3200+ which i have on an older machine.. cost me like £6.00 knocked the temperature down by about 10C to 46C non-loaded.. which is still pretty poor..

i've ordered a slk-900a and a 5500rpm fan.. (i'm not to fussed about noise) when im using my pc im usually gaming with decent headphones so i can't hear it. my pc is running at about 45db