How long do u think it would take to learn c#

Discussion in 'IT Careers and Certification' started by jackie11, Feb 17, 2008.

1. jackie11

jackie11 Geek Trainee

Hey there, im currently looking for a better job, and i have noticed there are loads out there for software programmers near my area.

How long do you think it would take me to gain a basic understanding of C#, if i were to teach myself?

Jackie x

2. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

I've nowhere near finished learning, but I've only been teaching myself little bits at a time, and then I got bored :D .

If you get a good book and plenty of time and patience then it shouldn't take you too long (maybe a couple of months) to get pretty good. I've spent all this afternoon writing a little encryptor programme this afternoon in C#, take a look if you like:

Thomas & Harry Wormalds Site

If you have previous experience with other programming languages then it's much easier to learn, as I found with JavaScript (I learnt some C# and then some JavaScript).

3. Tech

Tech Padawan

Not looking to be a pessimist but learning a programming language is not easy. Besides that if you're looking to be programmer you're going to need a related degree. Maybe ten years ago this wouldn't be the case but these days without one you're going to be the programming equivalent of the tea lady, regardless of your skill level. There are well paid jobs out there but you simply won't get them.
    Secondly programming is an extremely professional job, like that of a barrister or doctor except that most quality programmers start really young, like twelve or thirteen. I'm told this is mainly because at that age the brain will adopt the principles far more easily.
    When it comes to the actual language "how long" is not an easy question. You could write a simple program by the end of the first days reading. You could write a very simple little application maybe a few weeks later but what if you want to integrate that into a larger app, like customizing your web browser or writing an app for your mobile phone. You need to know exactly how that code works too. If you have the source code great! However have you ever tried to read somebody else's source code? Even simple code can be a real headache:stars:

You don't mention how old you are but if you're looking at the job market I'm guessing you're not twelve or something so from somebody who looked into this themselves I'd say be prepared for a long hard slog with little chance of reward at the end of it.

Note: I'm kinda surprised there are so many programming jobs in you area as lots got out sourced to India and places like that. :O

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

this is a very hard question to answer, put simply, it depends how serious you are about learning it, myself, i have little or no experience of almost all languages (except some VB years ago)

in summery:

you get out what you put in

to fully learn a language you need to specify time to learn it, it could take a year or more, it just depends on how serious you are about learning it

5. Pimp

Pimp Captain of USS Defiant

It depends on your abilities every person is different so no one can answer that question for you, i guess only you can. Personally i wouldn't bother with it like Homer Simpson once said "if something is hard to do then it's not worth doing" lol classic :chk:

6. jackie11

jackie11 Geek Trainee

ok thanks, i was thinking that as i dont have a degree but i show a potenteil employer that i know what im doing and i am good at it, i thought this would more than enough to get the job, as a lot of job ads just say experience of using the languages/programs, u dont have 2 have a degree

Thanks Jackie xx

7. jackie11

jackie11 Geek Trainee

thomas234- Your link doesnt work

Jackie x

8. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Strange, it works for me! On Windows it tries to block the download for some reason (it does with any automatic download), you have to press the yellow bar close to the top and press download file.

9. jackie11

jackie11 Geek Trainee

oh i got it thanks