How long should I stress test while overclocking before I push it up a little?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by ashinms, Sep 12, 2011.

1. ashinms

ashinms Geek

I started out with an AthlonII x4 620 at 2.6 stock and managed to push it up to 3.0. I did it in 100 megahertz increments and prime 95 tested for about six to eight hours each time to make sure it was stable. Was that long enough or should I have tested longer? I've heard you need 24 hrs to be sure, but I really only planned to do that when I reach the performance I wanted to make sure I'm rock solid. I'm running water, and I haven't touched voltage yet. Don't really plan to. All other settings are stock except FSB. Idle 25C full load 35.

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

That is pretty impressive! Actually the prime 95 readme.txt recommends testing it for a couple or so days.

3. ashinms

ashinms Geek

Thank you. I was really supprised at the results, myself. That's why I posted this. I was wondering if I was missing some instability somewhere. It didn't seem natural that i could get it up by 400 mghrzt without at least a little voltage bump. Seems I lucked out on this, though, and managed to get a combination of a good chip and a good cooler.

4. ashinms

ashinms Geek

BTW, this is on a different mobo than when I posted about overclocking this exact same chip a few months ago and you responded. The last one's chipset completely baked. (Same overclock, except using oc genie)