How much power Do i need !

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by Matthew123, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Matthew123

Matthew123 Geek Trainee

My pc has cut out and im having yo use my old linux pc =[

Every time i try running my other comp its run for like 30 seconds then cuts out and wont turn on for a while again and even when it does turn back on it runs for like 30 seconds max each time!
    Although when i took one of my ram chips out it ran for for 1 whole second after the initial 30 seconds which its never done before!

System Info

Intel coure duo 2.2ghz
    Asus 8500 gt en silent magic 512 mb
    Memory: 2048MB RAM
    HDD 300 gb
    Tv Tunner card

The graphic card was orignal an ati so i think i overloaded my power supply when i put the new one in!

Oh yeah also my power supply says max 250 on the side so if any one could tell me how much my comp actually needs would be a great help!

2. Tech

Tech Padawan

How far do you get in to the boot process n terms of what the computer actually does? Does it get through POST? etc...

3. Matthew123

Matthew123 Geek Trainee

Ummm i think i got to the log in window but now i can't Get there all i can do is press the power and it boots for a second if that!
    Sorry im not much help im a bit of a noob with comps =[

4. Tech

Tech Padawan

We were all noobs once :)

When you turn on your PC do you here one or two beeps after a couple of seconds? This is the POST and these beeps are verifying that your major hardware is working ok. If you dont get these beeps you may sometimes get a different set of beeps indicating a problem with a particular piece of hardware.

Have you suffered any other problems recently? Any error messages in windows? Have you added any hardware?