How quiet are you?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by extreme4377, Feb 12, 2005.

1. extreme4377

extreme4377 Big Geek

How quiet is your PC? From 1-10, 10 being a jet engine at 1 meter and 1 being a whisper at 100 meters.

Mine personally is about a 3. Silent when I sit in my chair, so its good enough for me!

2. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

probably about 5

3. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

2 for me, when I go out and switch the monitor off I sometimes wonder if it's still turned on when I get back. Still if you get close enough you can hear *some* noise, but not much, it would be a 1.5 but I bumped it up to a 2 because sometimes my hard drives make quite a lot of noise, especially during my daily virus scan.

4. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

6-7. So loud, so loud people can hear it on the fone very well sitting ay my desk

5. Addis

Addis The King

8-9. Bloody loud. You can hear it from downstairs and you've got to wear headphones to get decent sound.

6. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Probably about a 6. Kind of annoying when trying to concentrate on work, or play games after bedtime :D

7. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Wow and theres me thinking mines loud if i sit next to it i hear a quite whirring noise but if i play music i can't hear it.

8. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Well with some well invested time the only thing i can hear in my computer is the Stock Cooler on my Nvidia 6600GT.

My computer sits right next to my left leg, so i'd say 2 even at full RPM's - and thats at a 2.6Ghz overclock.

It's not about mass amounts of fans, any system can run 2 x case fans and be Very cool, you just need good fans and equal air pressure/cfm inside the case at all times.

- Easily worked out :)

9. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

My old celeron would have to be an 8, sometimes it was only reasonably noisy (you couldn't hear it upstairs anyway) but whenever I popped in a CD the thing wouldn't shut up. When a CD was in I'd give it a 10, or 9.5 anyway. There would be this horrible whirring, vibrating, and and rapid spinning from what seemed like every single component capable of making noise. Lets hope my new rig is like a 3 or less.

10. matttibb

matttibb Geek Trainee

If you think about it, it is a very strange scale to use. Uf your pc was an 8/9 i think u'd be deaf by now :chk: On my pc you can hear a slight hum but when playing games or music you can't hear it. I can sleep with my pc on, downloading and my pc is right next to the bed.

11. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Maybe your a heavy sleeper. I can sleep with my pc on overnight too and its about 1 meter away from my bed

12. Addis

Addis The King

I think its easier to sleep when theres a constant noise around the same frequency. Like a case fan which hardly ever chages (unless it changes on temp change). I couldnt sleep with a computer that someitmes went quiet, and then just went noisy all of a sudden.

13. matttibb

matttibb Geek Trainee

Sounds valid

14. afidelino

afidelino Geek Trainee

Before i bought a TAGAN PSU is about 6 not its about 4 but my CM Jet 4 is really loud when running on full RPM. I can also hear something in my graphics card whenever i am viewing high res images, an even when i playing or just on a screensaver. :(

15. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

As to addis's point of sleeping with the same "frequency" earlier in this thread, this isn't the same with all fans, all components that come with fans or fans them selves, come with a noise specification - this is either measured in Decibels (DB) or Sone's.

There's a big difference, my Heatsink & Fan a Artic Freezer 64 has a 1 Sone specification, basically the difference between DB and Sone's are that Decibels are the PURE measurement of sound, where as Sone is the measurement of sound as to how noticeable it is to a Humans ear..

Ie 3 Sones could be 8Decibels, but the frequency and pitch of it could drive you insane - (White Sound), where as you could have a computer that has a Max output of 55DB, but the fans being used could be 1 Sone, ie, the fans are very loud, but barable, merely because the frequency and pitch of the sound been made is not conflicting with any case chasis ie creating turbulance, or the ball bearings in the fans creating a scratching noise..

My 21Decibel Vantec Stealth Fans are quiet due to the fact i have removed (cut out) all the fan grills, and they still run at 21Decibels but they are quieter.. Sone wise.. ie to ME or any Other Human they are quieter.. due to less turbulence..

16. Addis

Addis The King

I wasn't really talking about how loud the component was. Just saying that I can sleep easier when theres no change in the sound. I can stand horrible noises pretty well like the high f sounds that some people seem to cringe at.

17. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

I just thought it might interest others and add to the discussion :)

My Windows 2000 has just b0rked on me, the whole operating system is corrupted and unreadable, i think either my hard drive has gone, or its the fact i came home from work early and found that someone had loaded Imesh 5 on, Imesh - although badly spyware infected is not pc destroying.. Imesh 5 was..

so stay away from it, from the event logs it looks like it was Imesh 5.

18. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

mine's so loud, I was making videos with my camcorder on my computer and my cat meowed from about ten feet away, can't hear my cat meow.

19. matttibb

matttibb Geek Trainee

Wow, judging from all this i guess mine must be quite quiet. I hate pc's that make grinding noises when something's loading!

20. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

I've never come across a pc that made grinding noises when loading :s