How to make a forum?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by DaRuSsIaMaN, Feb 19, 2009.

1. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

I need help. I want to create a forum for the lab in which I work to help us in communication. It should obviously be free. And no need for it to be fancy. I don't have much time to spend on it, so I will need to just select some kind of template and not mess much with designing things myself. So, would anyone tell me what needs to be done, exactly? And which site to do it with?

Thanks a lot.

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

I can name a few..

- [google]phpbb[/google] plenty of free themes
    - [google]punbb[/google]
    - [google]fluxbb[/google] (fork of punbb) I like the look of this one myself

You need a computer with PHP/MySQL installed if your hosting it locally else I think the best solutions is to get really cheap hosting, don't know of any free hosting providers...

3. HardwareAffair

HardwareAffair Geek Trainee

I'm a huge fan of phpBB for a free forum. It's simple, and has a large community, so you have lots of features, add-ons, support, and free themes. Depending on your host, you might have one click forums in cPanel you can setup. Otherwise, if you're installing one yourself, they're usually the same. Setup a mySQL database, edit the forum config file with your database name, username and password, and then upload all the files. Run through the simple setup in your web browser, and you're basically done. It should only take 10min or so to get up and running.

FluxBB looks decent. I'll have to check it out sometime too.

If you're serious, then look into vBulletin. It's definitely the best, but it's going to cost you a little cash.

4. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Are you talking about the software available on phpbb.com? So the way this would work, I would download that stuff and design my forum, but then I'd need to find somewhere to host it?

There's this site (for example -- I think there are plenty of others) Forum For Free, which offers free hosting. Check out the home page. It says specifically "free IPB & phpBB forum hosting". So I could make the forum with phpbb and then take it to them to upload it? Right?

Thanks

5. HazukiOno

HazukiOno Geek Trainee

you can host it locally in the network, e.g. your computer[​IMG]