How to make a new fan slot?

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding and Gallery' started by Twisted4000, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Twisted4000

Twisted4000 Geek Trainee

Hey, I've never modded a case before. I have no idea how people make fan slots with drills. How do you get it so perfect for the fan to fit? I love my case, but it has uneven cooling: 1 side fan for intake, 1 front fan for intake, and 1 rear fan for outtake. Duh...

I want to drill a fan slot or two in the roof, and a fan slot on the bottom. My case has all this room but the manufacturer didn't bother to put in more fan spots.

Should I like hold the fan on the spot I want to drill, and drill through its holes for reference? What kind of screw bit with the screwdriver, and how do I make the cage? Drill a bunch of random holes, or?

I really want to speak with someone who has experience with case mods, thanks.

Bonus, it's a good idea to keep hard drives as far apart as possible each other, right? Lol, I know, it's probably a no-brainer...

2. NumbWarri0r

NumbWarri0r Geek

I would use a dremel tool for cutting into the case and use a sharpie or pencil to outline the fan size you want.

3. SaintValentine

SaintValentine Geek Trainee

i have linked a guide that is spaced for a radiator, http://www.mnpctech.com/Radiator_Grill_Templates.html, just follow the instructions there (print and make sure that scaling is set to 0%) cut out the inner circle, and drill the holes on the corners, it's quite simple really.

4. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

can you show us a photo of your case, or give us a link to see what it looks like.. I have built allot of computers, and some with custom cases...
    Just remember that if you put too many holes in the case it will weaken it..