How to overclock a geforce 4 ti4600?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Tigger, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Tigger

Tigger Geek Trainee

hey,

my system is beautiful .. except for the graphics card..

i would like to try at least overclocking this card to get the most out of it before i decide its disgusting and buy a 6800gt.

AMD FX-51
    asus SK8V mainboard
    2 x 512MB Corsair Registered ECC DRR ram
    asus geforce 4 ti4600
    Win2000 Professional

could someone direct me on how to turn this puppy into a carnivorous beast.

thx

Kasper

:swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear:

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

I may be wrong, but I don't think that the ti series are known for overclocking. They have pretty high clocks as it is, but even with overclocking that card you shouldn't get more than 12-15 fps more out of it

3. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

I beg to differ :D

Although my system is not quite as powerful as yours its similiar, I was going to buy a 6800GT but i figured i see for a laugh what my TI4280 would perform like in games.

In HL2 with low graphics i get on average 60FPS, if i put it to high graphics (except shadows) i get about 35-40FPS. Hence why i've kept my TI4280 and not bothered buying a new one, as i do not need it :)

I've overclocked mine from 250 / 500 i think to 300 / 600 and it makes a considerable difference, especially with an AMD64 system.

Use "Riva Tuner" to overclock, search the net for what other people have got OC wise with the same card, then you know roughly where your limits lye.

4. Tigger

Tigger Geek Trainee

hey thanks for the replies !

i OCed it a few minutes ago and boy does my manhood feel slightly less small

it was 300 mhZ clockspeed default and i managed to get it to 311 ... i took it to 312 but i got tearing in the VISUALOPTICAL area via the eyes ergo vise-vie concordingly.. i did however get a hell of a lot extra out of the graphics memory speed .. it was default 650 and i managed to get 700 without any tears or anything.

i dont actually know what differance that'll make.. but i was encountering slow-downs in alot of areas while i was playing Vampire : Bloodlines (it uses the same engine as HL2) and i dont want slow-downs ... NONE :swear: :swear:

thanks again for your replies

Kasper :swear: :swear:

5. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

depends what you've got the game details set to, if they are set to high occasionaly you will get noticeable slow downs for a few seconds. however if you run a mixture of medium / low graphics its fine, and it still looks really nice.

Tigger likes this.
  6. Tigger

Tigger Geek Trainee

:swear:

7. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Even with a FX-51 you can't seriously expect a Geforce4 to run full graphics, the card does not incorporate some of the features that full graphics require in modern games now. Especially with the release of HL2 / Doom 3

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Actually, HL2 should run pretty well. I can do 1280x960 on mine with my P4 setup, and except for a few places, it really doesn't skip a beat. Of course, if you like AA and AF jacked up...well, sorry it ain't gonna fly.

The Ti4600's core isn't going to go very far. Check reviews, and you'll find an OC of only 15-20MHz on the core. The memory, however, is more likely to OC like mad. Check the archive reviews @ Anandtech and [H]ard|OCP. I'm pretty sure those did reviews of Asus Ti4600.

RivaTuner is a pretty good OC'er to use, and you can get it over @ the Guru of 3D.