How To Overclock An AMD 64

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Willz, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

i have seen a review on my cpu, and it shows that my cpu can be at 2.8ghz with a voltage bump, i have got my cpu running at 2.4ghz stable, when i overclock it to 2.6ghz, in the most part, it is stable, exept sometimes i get a crash, or vpu reset kicks in, also, when i overclock my cpu, the memory speed also goes up, and if i overcloed my cpu to 2.8ghz, it would also make the memory clock go higher than 500mhz.

what options should i change in the bios to stop the memory from clocking so high, also, what voltage bump should i do.

i have included some pics of the bios, sorry about the bluryness, i used my camera phone.

as you can see, the ddr speed is 440 as te cpu is at 2.4ghz, i need to get the voltage lower, back to normal.

Attached Files:

2. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

trygin to get 3700+ amd64 (2.2ghz to 2.8ghz.)

To keep your RAM speed down while increasing your FSB you'd need to change the FSB: RAM Speed Ratio, (First picture I think...)
    Change it to something like 3:2 (FSB: RAM respectively) and see what you can get, this will mean you can get the FSB of the CPU higher while keeping the RAM speed down.

3. Willz

ah right thanks, and what about increasing voltage of cpu?
    should i increase it from 1.4v to 1.6v?

4. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Don't try a voltage boost yet. Try getting to 2.8GHz and see what happens, if it doesn't post or your BIOS resets the speeds then try a small voltage bump, something like 0.05V at first and try again, don't bump things up too much at once or you risk damaging things. Remember increasing the voltage increases the temperature of the CPU so watch it to make sure it stays at a reasonably safe temperature.

5. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

First off, to overclock you need memory that is preferably capable of the FSB you will be overclocking your memory to. You have PC3200, this is capable of running @ 200Mhz FSB (DDR400).

What make is it? because unless its a good solid stable make / brand, you may only get a maximum of 210-220Mhz from your FSB. (not alot).

What you should do is this:

Increase your memories Latency timings to: 3-4-4-8 2T - this is a slow latency, and will decrease performance, BUT and its an important but, it will erradicate the posibility of your overclock failing due to your memory timings being to fast for the overclock you are trying to use.

Now set your CPU:FSB Ratio to 3:2 or something higher, this will underclock your Processors clock speed, but keep your memory running the same (from 200Mhz & upwards when u overclock). - This means you won't risk damaging your CPU from a bad overclock, or heat issues.

Second, without increasing your voltage of your cpu, try overclocking the memory's FSB as far as you can go in 2Mhz increments (2Mhz at a time), rebooting and trying Windows + 3D Games for 10 - 15 minutes solid. (run a disk defrag in the back ground as well).

Now once you find it becomes unstable, underclock it to the previous overclock that was stable. Now what you'll want to do is increase the Voltage thats supplied to your memory "Vdimm) (don't go higher than 2.8V as this is unsafe for generic or standard non overclocking memory).

Now increase the Voltage by one step, from 1.4V to 1.425V, now increase the memories FSB by 2Mhz increments until you find another unstable overclock. Underclock again, and go back to a stable FSB setting, now increase the memory.. to 1.45V, now overclock again.. underclock, increase voltage, overclock.

Carry on doing this until you find the maximum stable overclock of your memories FSB. Now once you find your maximum FSB Overclock, decrease it by 4 - 6MHz FSB increments just to be safe.

Now make sure you have a good CPU Cooler and good air flow through your system, and change the CPU Ratio from 3:2 or what ever so the ratio between the two becomes smaller and smaller.

Start increasing the FSB of your CPU in 2Mhz Increments until you find an unstable overclock, now take it back to the last stable overclock you found and increase the Voltage to the CPU by 0.025 (VCore). And do the same method as used above in the memory.

CPU : FSB
    1 : 1 = CPU FSB runs at the same as whatever the memory FSB is set to.
    3 : 2 = CPU FSB runs at 60% of whatever the memory FSB is set to

e.t.c

Hope this helps :)

6. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Nice way to explain it ProcalX, simple but it gives you everything you need to know!! :good:

7. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Well layed out, easily explained, in no way patronising the user, factful - you i'm back ;)

+ Times helpful!

8. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Hehe, I did find it very useful, (forgot to click thanks though, will do after this post) yeah hows it feel to be back? I see you're Staff again, cool!

9. Merlin

Merlin Geek Trainee

A guy in my clan has both the 3700+ and the FX55 and he wanted to see if: 1. he could clock the 3700+ to the same as the FX55. 2. If the clock speeds were the same, which would give the best benchmarks. The FX55 is default 2.7ghz, he managed to get the 3700+ stable at 2.7ghz but lost stability if he went further. With both cpu's at 2.7Ghz, the FX55 still gave the best benchmarks.

10. Willz

Thanks for all the information guys, but i have crap ol generic ram, and the stock cooler, i seen on a forum that it can be up to 2.8ghz with a stock cooler, and as long as idle temperatures dont go above 48 degrees, i dont mind.
    When you say increase the memory fsb, is that ddr speed thats showing up as 440mhz in the 1st picture?

i have taken a screenshot of easytune, that shows everyhitng alot more clearly.

Attached Files:

• test.JPG
      test.JPG
      File size:
      94.7 KB
      Views:
  11. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

The memory fsb is the one on your image that says: Mem Freq (Memory Frequency or Memory FSB Frequency).

DDR = Double Data Rate
    PC2100 = 133Mhz (because its DDR it's: PC2100 DDR266 (2x133 = 266)
    PC2700 = 166Mhz (because its DDR it's: PC2700 DDR333 (2x166 = 333)
    PC3200 = 200Mhz (because its DDR it's: PC3200 DDR400 (2x200 = 400)

If your computer settings were:

AMD 64 3200+ 939Pin (2.0Ghz or 2000Mhz)
    2 x 512MB PC3200 DDR400

The AMD 64 3200+ (and all AMD 64 processors except FX range) would have a Multiplier of 10.0x.

If you're motherboard was set to a 1:1 CPU:FSB Ratio (meaning the CPU's FSB runs the same at which the memory FSB is set to).

And you increased the Memories FSB from 200Mhz (default @ PC3200) to 220Mhz here's the math:

Both CPU & Memory are running @ 220Mhz so thats 210HT (HyperThreading) (as Hyperthreading runs 1:1 with memory FSB as well - this ratio can also be changed as the CPU can)

220HT

Now, both your memory and CPU are running at a frequency of 220Mhz, so your memory is running at DDR420 (2x220Mhz = DDR420)

Now because your CPU FSB is running @ 220Mhz, the actual clock speed of the CPU or Processor is worked out by this:

CPU FSB x CPU Multiplier

The AMD 64 3200+ is 10x Multiplier, so, 220Mhz (CPU FSB) x 10x Multiplier = 2200Mhz.

Obviously as you increase the overclock, you are increasing the power consumption of the CPU/Processor & Memory. More of a power consumption requires more Voltages. This is where you find your instabilities, when the overclock requires more power than your bios is currently set to provide.

Vcore is the name of the Voltage provided in your bios to your CPU, the AMD 64 3200+ default is 1.4V, as we overclock, we are requiring more power to run a more powerful CPU, hence we need to increase the Vcore or Voltage to the CPU. The problem is, we don't just wack the voltage up as high as it can go, as the higher the Voltage, the higher the heat. And Heat is an electrical components worst enemy.

Any AMD 64 939Pin based Processor (90nm) can safely run at 60C @ Maximum 100% cpu usage, without any damage. I personally won't go higher than 55Celcius this gives u a safety margin.

You can reduce heat, by tying back cables as much as possible, cables restrict air flow, good fans which provide a high CFM (CFM is a measurement of the amount of air that is pushed through the fan at any one time).

25 or more should really be expected of good fans.

A good HSF (Heatsink & Fan) should be used, i highly recommend ThermalTake or Zalman with a 120MM fan with 30CFM or more on. (obviously the more CFM the louder the fan will be as there is more turbulence from the amount of air being pushed inbetween the same space).

Hope this helps (i will be writing some basic stuff like this up in a detailed and better structure article for the HWF site & with images later this month).

12. Willz

yea thanks, it does help a bit more, i am learning :p.

my case is alot more tidy now with the new cpu and motherboard, i have same amount of lights and other hardware in there, but yet its tidy.

if i ever get a new cooler for the cpu, i will most deffenitly be going with an AC Freezer 64.

i belive the max temperatrue for my cpu (3700+) is 70degrees, it maybe be 65 degrees.

so, if i bump the core up to 2.8ghz slowely, then bump the voltage slowely up to 1.5-1.6v, could this damage the cpu, or would it just either overheat, or freeze in bios?

if i have the ht on 5x, then overclock cpu to 2.6ghz in windows, windows crashes, so i have to restart the computer, but if i increase it to 2.6ghz in bios and have 5x ht on, then everyhitng locks up, and i have to reset cmos.

why could this be happening?

13. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

First off i recommend that you do not allow your CPU to run at more than 55C, the life expectancy will dramatically weaken, plus its winter.. wait till it get hotter say 10-15C hotter - so will your cpu. and thats too close to the 65C - 70C. Understand? :)

Right, if you obviously have either misunderstood or not understood my previous post, if you just "bump up" the CPU to an overclock of 2.8Ghz, it most likely will not work as you are using default Voltages.

You must overclock gradually, find unstable overclocks, then increase the voltage on both the memory / cpu as necerssary until you find your overclock becomes stable.

You should NOT push your CPU past 1.6V unless you have water cooling, or a phase change kit (freezes the cpu).

Also, bare in mind that on each overclock, you need to test it, by running your CPU as hard as possible (ie make it work, so you know even when its being pushed it will work with the overclock).

If you just bump it straight up to 2.8Ghz you risk damaging your cpu, through heat, lack of power because you havnt provided enough Vcore, damaging your memory due to lack of power because you havnt provided enough Vdimm.

Believe me, if you do not overclock slowly, and thoroughly test your overclock, you're CPU WILL DIE. (and a bad overclock can also take along other components like graphics cards & motherboards) and overclocking is not covered by any warranty.

As for your problem with HT, HyperThreading by default runs @ 1000Mhz (2000 HT) it is worked out as such:

HT = HyperThreading, hyperthreading is worked out by this calculation:
    HTSETTING x CPU FSB

of course your CPU FSB is calculated from the Memory Frequency or Memory FSB

so example:
    Your running a 1:1 ratio, you set your memory FSB to 220Mhz, therefore your CPU FSB is running at 220Mhz as well, your multiplier of your cpu is 10x, 10xCPUFSB = 10x220Mhz = 2.2Ghz or 2200Mhz.

Your HyperThreading speed is set to: 5x (HTSETTING x CPUFSB = HyperThreading Speed)

So:

5 x 220Mhz = 1100Mhz or 2200 HT

The problem you have is that HyperThreading doesnt like to be overclocked, so it's a limiting feature, what i recommend is that you lower your HTSETTING (currently 5x to 4x or 3x) Overclock your CPU using the method i have given you and then increase the HT later, to the fastest you can.

Realistically you can't overclock HT past about 1200Mhz on good overclocking boards.

You need to get run:
    Slow latency on your memory such as: 3-4-4-8 2T (as you overclock your memory FSB, your memory will be running at higher clock rates, higher clock rates don't like running at tight timings (or low timings such as: 2-2-2-5) - this is a limiting factor and will crash your memory and stop you from overclocking if your latency is too fast for the memory to run at. Running lower latency memory also requires more Vdimm (voltage to be supplied to your memory).

HT should be set @ 3x or 4x as once this is overclocked too much it will stop u from overclocking your CPU anymore (limiting factor)

If you dont overclock properly, you may limit your CPU's maximum overclock, if you do it right i guarantee you'll get alot more than you expect.

And before you start overclocking, get a good HSF as we mentioned before, the Artic Freezer 64 is a reasonable cooler, although there are alot better coolers out there now, i would buy a Zalman 7700CLU (£30 but its one of the best HSFs out for silence and cooling).

Make sure you have good fans as well, perhaps even one above your memory too cool that down as well.

14. Willz

if the zalman fans are those that are really wide, would it actually fit, becouse in between the graphics card, and cpu cooler, there is only about 1-1.5 inch space.

also my cpu/memory ratio is at 2:2, maximum is 2:2.5

i can overclock the cpu from windows, and change the voltage too, using that easy tune, would you reccomend against overclocking through windows using the easy tune application?

i have noticed that when overclocking through widnows, at 2,6ghz, it is not stable, i think that may be down to the memory, so i will try for a stable clock of 2.65ghz untill i get a decent cooler.

at the moment, i only have applications like msn, norton antivirus, asus display driver and internet explorer running, and the cpu is at 25 degrees, usually as the day goes on, it settles at 33degrees after a couple of game been played.

when i do try the 2.6ghz overclock (not fully stable) the temperatures at idle, and load, dont change that much aswell.

wont make the timing high to 3-4-4-8 2T damage ram aswell? or would i have to lower the voltage if i can?

ok, i change the cpu/memory ratio to 2:1.8 now at 2.4ghz the memory is back to origional of 400mhz, now i overclocked to 2.6ghz, memory is at 428mhz instead of 440mhz it was at when i had it on cpu/memory ratio of 2:2 and 2.4ghz, now the ht is at 4x and at 236mhz, 236mhz*4=944mhz, 944mhz*2=1888, so ht is running at 1888, thats 288mhz overclock on HT.

in easytune it says my memory speed is at 214mhz, but in speedfan it says 199.7 :s.

2.6ghz (idle temperature 28degrees)

15. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

No making the timings higher for your memories latency will not damage the ram, having low timings whilst overclocking will.

Lower numbers of memory latency = lower latencys mean your motherboard / cpu graphics card and any other components can access your memory quicker. The numbers represent the time in milliseconds, in this forum there is a sticky thread explaining memory timings. Please Go And Read It!

Now, you should ALWAYS overclock from the bios, its much safer than doing it with any program, why? because you're overclocking key components in your computer WHILST your in Windows & running other stuff & if windows crashes or a program causes an abnormality to occur in your overclocking program or windows, you could be in for serious problems.

Look:
    I have a:
    AMD64 x2 4400+ (the equivelant of 2 of your cpu's)
    PC3200 @ 1.5-2-2-5 1T - these are the lowest memory timings you can have (ie the fastest, because my memory runs @

1.5milliseonds-2milliseconds-2milliseconds-5milliseconds 1T

Each seperate number represents different parts of the memory, therefore these represent the speed of different factors at which the memory can be read or written to by different parts in the computer such as your motherboard or CPU.

Lower latencys (faster memory timings) require more Voltage as you are effectively overclocking your memory because you are lowering the timings, which make memory access quicker.

The same applies for when you overclock the FSB of your CPU / Memory, you are making the devices FASTER, therefore because they are faster they require more POWER from your POWER SUPPLY - HENCE, you need to increase the Voltage to the Vcore(CPU Voltage) or the Vdimm(DDR Voltage).

Read all of what i have written again, now goto your BIOS, not your overclocking application in windows, reset your bios to use default settings, now reboot load the bios up again and OVERCLOCK using my guide which i have written over the last few pages..

If you follow my instructions you will find a much better, stabler overclock.

Also, your program does not list the settings in a proper way, so all of what i am describing such as Vcore & Vdimm won't make sense, GOTO YOUR BIOS!!! AND OVERCLOCK!

16. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

and when you look at buying any HSF you should also read on the manufacturers website the specific details of the size, width and height / weight how it attaches, so that it will work with your board. do not just buy any HSF as it may not fit.

17. Willz

i will get a new cooler after chirstmas, i am now stable at 2.6ghz, with 1.45Vcore and cpu/memory at 1:1.8 and memory at 430mhz, if i slowely overclock, i can get to 2.8ghz and have memory back to 400mhz using one of the cpu/memory ratio settings, i will try 1.5v on Vcore when cpu is at 2.8ghz, but first i will see if its stable at 1.65ghz then 1.7ghz, then 1.75 ghz, if i can get it to run stable with stock cooler when i have it clocked at 2.8ghz, when i get my new cooler after chirstmas, i will try for 3.0ghz.

my 3700+ seems to be a very good overclocker, i dont even think the 1.45v on the Vcore is necessery, i think 1.42 will be ok.

currently with the voltage at 1.45 and at 2.6ghz, i am idling at 28 degrees.

the reason i want to overclock it is, so my cpu can multitask and load programs faster than my 3.0ghz pentium 4, sure the 3700+ runs games better, and i get better fps, but in normal use with applications, and having lots running at once, its slower, but if when i get it to 2.8ghz, i think i will get blazing performance in games and loading applications.

18. Willz

ok, i got the cpu to 2.8ghz, and upped the voltage to 1.45v, idle temperature is 30-33 degrees, ad load is as far as i can see, 39, i am hapy as log as it does not go over 45 degrees, i will be getting a new cooler for it eventually, everything is runig stable aswell, no freezing in game, it appears to be 100% succesfull overclock, when i was overclocking it, i went up in 5mhz increments.

the 2.8ghz overclock is ace, i now can load apps and do anhting faster than my pentium 4 3.0ghz.

here are some benchmarks results.
    Aquamark 3: 79,000
    3d mark 01 se: 27840 (on stock: 22,000)
    3d mark 03: 13128 (on stock: 11,000)
    3d mark 05: 6352 (on stock: the same :s)

if i keep the voltage at 1.45v for good, will i dramaticly decrease my cpu lifespan?

19. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

:good: Really thumbs up to you, that is a very good overclock :)

You see if you hadn't followed the examples and instructions i gave you, and overclocked an unsafe way, you wouldn't have reached this overclock or anywhere near it realistically.

a 600Mhz overclock @ 1.45V @ temperatures of under 50Celcius is very VERY respectable, and rather lucky. You obviously have a good overclocking week of your cpu. I would have expected 1.5V-1.55V (starts to get very hot) to get that.

:) good job.

(Pats self on back)

20. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

tbh with those temperatures i wouldn't bother getting a different heatsink & fan.

You can overclock safely upto 55C with the 90nm AMD64.. so 45C max is going to give u a big overclock if u get some really good memory like some Geil One or GSkill.