How to set up 5.1 computer speakers?

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by DaRuSsIaMaN, Feb 1, 2009.

1. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Are there any general guidelines? Are 5.1 speakers typically nailed to walls or something?

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

If you want to nail the speakers to the wall that's entirely up to you. I have my subwoofer next my Mac, two speakers either side of the monitor and unfortunately due to lack of space the remaining two speakers are either side of left/right front speakers :(

Hanging the speakers needs more thought; would you mind the wires showing or would you rather cover them up? Having the speakers on stand would means; you can have the wires on the floor or under the carpet.

Here is a decent guide Home Theater Speaker Layout - An Essential Guide & Reviews and News from Audioholics

3. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Oh. Wow, I seriously always thought the extra 2 speakers go behind you and somewhat to the side, to add rear sound in FPS games. That's not true? Only 7.1 does that?

4. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

That s exactly what I thought before buying my 5.1 speakers. I've seen setups where people tend to have the speakers on the either side of their couch/sofa. The setup basically fools your ears with realistic rear sound.

I think these days you can get 2.1 speakers which can fool your ears with a realistic illusion of surround sound.