Hulu Bandwidth Management Bug - HELP

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by jaggy, Oct 24, 2009.

1. jaggy

jaggy Geek Trainee

Hello, thanks for taking a minute to read this post - I have an interesting problem with hulu. For some odd reason hulu videos, regardless of quality, are skipping and I believe the problem to be hulu's own bandwidth management when my machine requests data.

Here are some DETAILS:
    1. My connection speed: 2.88mbps v / 0.48mbps ^ stable.
    2. Problem started occurring after a long period of time when my computer did not have an internet connection, however all updates are done.
    3. My network traffic graph is constant needle points and bursts of speed up to 2.9mbps unless I pause the video and let if buffer - this is where I see a constant bandwidth at 2.9mbps until the buffer is full.
    4. My connection speed is consistent based on the fact that when I download a large file it stays at 2.9mbps without any major drops.
    6. When the SKIPPING OCCURS my CONNECTION IS IDLE. (I do a speed test in the middle of it and my speeds are fine) =*(

My question is - why, if I have the necessary bandwidth for the stream, do I still see skipping with the buffer barely filled, and what in my computer could be causing this?

My PC:
    (all flash and firefox updates done)

E8500 @ 2.66ghz
    1 x 2gb ddr2 @ 800mhz
    WD Black 500GB x 2
    Seagate 72.1 250GB
    GTX280
    Audigy2 ZS
    EVGA 780i w/dual Gigabit NICs (tried both)

WINDOWS XP 32-bit SP2

Network:
    Surf Board 5100 Cable Modem directly connected to the LAN card.
    Link Speed: 100mbps
    Internet Access: 2.88mbps downstream / 0.48mbps upstream

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!! I HAVE NO CABLE TV I NEED HULU BAD BAD

Thanks!