I wonder what a 60% overclock on a Pentium IV 3.0GHz would be like :)

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by FishyWishy, Mar 30, 2004.

1. FishyWishy

FishyWishy Geek Trainee

WOW! i just found the best option in my bios! its something like
    [OVERCLOCK CPU] then it gives me a percentage to the overclock, ive done a lil 5% overclock and brought it to 3.15GHz and its running happily at 30˚C give or take 10˚, ive been told thats rather healthy, correct me if im wrong. im very new to overclocking, but the more i look at it the more appealing it becomes, why should i pay for speed when i can get it for free! I wouldnt mind going for the 60% overclock option, yes i think that would be quite fun, now what i need to know is, what cooling i would need for such a massive overclock, which would bring it to 4.8GHz, mmmm 4.8Giggitty goodness .. im not altogether sure i want to be doing it right now, considering i just bought it. But is it possible? and if it is what would i need?

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Probably refridgeration or liquid nitrogen. You'd also likely need to do a voltmod to give enough voltage to support this. Keep in mind that P4's tend to croak much more easily if the voltage stays above 1.7V.

It's possible, but it's really dependent on the chip. I think[H]ard|OCP had one P4 at 4.4GHz. It was a 3.0GHz, and they used two Vapochill refridgeration setups plus a watercooling rig to get the thing at that insane speed. Also, the first attemped got up to 4.2GHz before the CPU went kaput.

It's probably alot more work than you want to put forward. Most people who what to OC go for 2.4C-2.8C (800MHz FSB) and some Corsair XMS DDR to accomodate that.
    Most 2.4's of B or C grade (533MHz/800MHz) can do 3.0GHz if not more. Some speed grades are preferred because they have a higher OC potential for the money than any others. The Athlon XP 2500 is a good example. Another one in the past was the P4 1.6A which tended to hit 2.4GHz at stock voltages or just a little voltage bump.

Overclocking is fun, but some people go to greater lengths than I to achieve that. Cooling above air requires some balls to do it.

3. FishyWishy

FishyWishy Geek Trainee

so its a no go then, oohw :( how far could i push the CPU without having to go to ultra great lengths? like fanning the hell out of it, i could blow on it!

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Pending on your RAM, you're looking at 3.4 to 3.6 as a more realistic possability.

5. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

HAHAHAblow onit....thats great