I'm buying this case.

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding and Gallery' started by harrack52, Aug 6, 2003.

1. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

thats cool! I will look to buy a new computer in the near future! so I def want that case, or you never know there will be even better cases by then :) thats a cool case!

3. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

There's gonna' be something newer that's for sure.

It also means this one will be cheaper !

4. zeus

zeus out of date

5. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

It's indeed a better case but it's $200 here.

I think the fans on the Xaser are smartfans right ?

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I have the older style of that case, and I'm very happy with it. Not a huge case, but it's roomy.

7. zeus

zeus out of date

That Thermaltake is twice the price where you are!?

Its about £80, here. For once rip-off Britain has a decent deal on!

Its a bloody crime how prices deviate from country to country.

8. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

You said it.

I wish I was American only for the price of computer parts :D

But I gotta' say I'm thankfull NCIX exists because their prices are usually ridiculously lower than any local store where I live.

For instance, a lian-li PC-65 costs 260$ here, and it costs only 170$ on NCIX.
    the 75FRN2-L was 120$ on NCIX when I bought it, and it's 160$ here (whther it is the raid or non-raid version !?!?!?!?!?!)

9. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

you guys gona have some cool cases here :) zeus where can you get it for around £80? your local store or online? thanks

10. zeus

zeus out of date

11. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Well my case is up and running !

It's quite roomy, plenty of space to put the cables away, considering I only have one cd-rw and one hdd ( I ditched the floppy, and feel very good about it :D )

Some things bother me though.

It's not totally screwless as add-on cards have to be screwed, as well as the mounting brackets for the 5.25'' bays. 3.5'' devices have to be screwed also but this is understandable.

Also, I'm not sure if it's me but the removable trays are kinda hard to get in place. I had the hardest of time trying to clip in the hdd tray. In fact, it's not completely flat as the rear is higher than the front, making the top removable tray harder to enter also.

Also, I would have liked thumb screws for the other side panel as well, not just for the window, because you absolutely need to take it off in order to take the front panel off.

But those are not big deals to me. It would if the case cost $200, but that's not the case so I'm very happy with it.
    Also, my temps dropped a nice 8C under full load, so airflow is excellent, and those two antec fans move a lot of air.
    They're said to be loud but I can't hear them since my Volvano 11 makes all the noise.

All I have to do now is make the inside clean by tying (sp?) cables together. Also I might buy round cables, or use that article on zone365 to round my cables myself. But the next thing I buy is a cold cathode: either blue because it's my favorite color, or yellow because it's my board's color.
    But I think it'll be blue.
    I might also by a blue led fan for the side panel, then I'll probably make a hole on the top and put the extra fan there, which will suck the air from inside the case, or blow a hole through the side panel which will blow air towards the cpu.

Actually I think I'll do both those things ;)

One thing I like very much though is that fans are clipped, not screwed.

12. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, on mine, I got some thumb screws by Antec at the local Best Buy. I don't know if you've got a BB up in Canada, but I bought a couple packs of them.

13. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

No but I'm sure I can buy some elsewhere.

14. d0s

d0s Geek Trainee

lol

the funniest thing is.. thats my case!!!! im serious!

15. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Well I guess Antec wanted to sell more than one so they made two.

I got one, you got the other.

How lucky are we !

16. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

LOL! *psst* I hear they've got a case cloning machine. :p

17. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

What ?

You mean they can make several copies of the exact same case ?

No, it can't be, IT CAN'T BE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. misunoko

misunoko Geek Trainee

i think that if you have a cheap case you can mod it to look better then the $200 ones i had a AU$10 case factory seconds and with a paint job some change of led, neons, lan fans and window and you have a bloody nice lookin case :)

19. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

It's not about the looks, it's about functionality.

You can buy a cheap ass $20 case and mod it like crazy with windows and paint and lights and all that crap but it will still be a pain to work with and it will still be the same size.

20. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I agree. With my Antec case, I don't have to remove every single part when doing a motherboard upgrade. I have yet to do any upgrade where I've had to remove both side panels. The drive rails are awesome too as well as the drive cages. It is by far the best case I have ever had. Now, some cases get pretty guady with pre-mods though.