install windows 98 on system w/xp vista

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by Runner7775, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Runner7775

Runner7775 Geek

i have an inspiron 6000 computer with xp and vista installed in a dual boot using the vista bootloader. To play some of my older favorite games i would like to install win 98 se. how would i go about doing this without uninstalling the oses? (i have vista boot pro 3.3 for editing the vista bootloader)

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

If they are DOS games, you'd be much better off using DOSbox rather than adding an obsolete operating system to your lineup. If they're not DOS games, you should be able to play them in compatibility mode in XP with a fair degree of success.

3. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

I have a triple boot using Win98 /XP / Vista , But I have mine in that order.
    I have no special boot loader, I use Win 98 also to play older games.
    Now I am not sure on how you would install windows 98 after Vista.

4. Runner7775

Runner7775 Geek

i use dos box for most dos game and these are games that wont run right on xp very well at all
    thanks

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

What filesystem is your boot partition? Windows 98 can't read NTFS natively, so if it's something other than FAT, I'm pretty sure you're looking at format of at least one partition.

If that's not the case, you can install 98, but you'll need to "repair" the bootloader. I don't have Vista, but with XP, you just need to boot off the install disc, go into the recovery console and type 'fixboot' (no quotes). I can't say this is true for Vista, but given the NT5 family nature it's based on, this might work.