installing new Hard drive crashed my cd drives

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by jester45, May 23, 2006.

1. jester45

jester45 Big Geek wanna be

here is my computer(old i know wanting to get new one)

OS-windows 98
    BIOS-never been updated from january '98
    1 cd-rom drive
    1 cd-r/rw
    1 8gb-hard dive :(

i was installing a new 80 gb harddrive and at first it was doing good the BIOS showed the new harddrive the old one and 2 cd drives then when i restarted the the comp to save some changes the harddrive manufacture said to do when i got windows loaded then in my computer the new harddrive did show up so i got back in to BIOs then the new harddrive wasnt showing up so i opened my computer up nad changed wires around then i put it back together and now the cd drives dont show in BIOS and the new harddrive dose but it is still not in my computer

if u could help me please do i realy would like to start playing my games and movies again becuase now that its suimmer i got all day to do it but i cant and its realy bugging me

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

i cant remember any dates (i'll try google), but your system could only be conpatible with either 8.4Gb or 50 Gb i think, somebody else will probably help with the dates of BIOS releaces
    make sure you have the CD-r set as master on the secondary IDE channer, installed it the end connector and your CD-ROM is set to slave and plugged into the middle IDE connector.

then set your old booting HDD as master on the primary channel (cable end) and all should be ok then try adding the second HDD as slave on the primary channel (middle connector) too,
    it may work, but if it doesn't work just unplug the new drive & your pc will work as before, just going to google (i'll try not to be too long)

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

yes it is the 8.4Gb restriction, this url will help you understand why
    Large Disk HOWTO: History of BIOS and IDE limits
    unfortunatly it may be time for a new mobo, to use your current mobo you will have to flash update your BIOS to work with up to 137Gb HDD's,sorry

5. jester45

my computer with the new harddrive is working but it dosent even show up in my computer

i dont know if helps but the cd drives lights up at start up and they allso open/close but they allso dont show up in my computer

the harddrive i have is western digital 7200rpm 8mb cache 80GB it looks to me that the limit should show the harddrive being only that much not stoping it at all from working

by the way i like this smiley :ff:

thew instustions that came with it said to change the BIOS on the new harddrive to show 528MB hardrive then put a cd in i dont know why i would have to do this

6. donkey42

donkey42 plank

right your pc's BIOS is outdated you can only successfully connect a HDD less than 8.4Gb, your only alternatives are either a mobo upgrade or a BIOS upgrade, and with a BIOS upgrade costing about 40 quid, i'd go for the mobo

with a BIOS upgrade you could potentially upgrade to 137Gb or maybe even 2Tb

so unfortunatly i'd say: time for a new mobo

check these smileys :beer: :jump2: :smash: :simpson:

7. jester45

what is a mobo and where can i get a BIOS update

do u have aol instant messager or yahoo instant messager

my old harddrive thats working right now has8.9gb total+windows98 on it

8. donkey42

donkey42 plank

aol or yahoo, you pick and ill dowload it
    a mobo is a motherboard
    what is the make & model or your motherboard and hopefully BIOS id string ?

9. jester45

AIM.comu need to make an account
    my screen name is Hotchamp14

my computer is
    HP pavilion 6460
    i thnk the mobo is asus as97127f
    i dont realy know where it is i can look for the other thing let me restart the comp

my BIOS are phionex dont know version

10. donkey42

donkey42 plank

hiya, just to let you know, your motherboard is no longer supported by asus so you can either download this although is would be much easier to buy a cheap motherboard (and probably cheaper than a BIOS upgrade)

my old harddrive thats working right now has8.9gb total+windows98 on it, it might say it's got 8.9Gb but with a BIOS date of jan 98 i'd have to assume your pc is not being entirely truthful, if the BIOS date was june 98 (or later) then i would have being inclined to beleive it

btw aol id: hdgt49

11. donkey42

donkey42 plank

hiya, just being thinking about your problem, thick :swear: (me) you could also add a PCI HDD controller like this and disable the onboard IDE in the BIOS (install the drivers before connecting hardware)

12. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Okay, some key points are being missed out:
    • The hard drive is being detected by the BIOS
    • The hard drive is not showing up under Windows
    • The hard drive is new

Your hard drive has been detected by the BIOS, so there is no need for a BIOS 'hope I don't corrupt my computer' upgrade

The reason you can't see your new hard drive in Windows is because you haven't configured it yet!
    It's a new hard drive, it hasn't been partitioned or formatted yet.

This is what you need to do, jester45.

• Boot into Windows
    • Open up a command prompt by clicking Start > Run > Type 'command' and press enter
    • Type 'fdisk'
    • You are now inside the Windows partitioner tool. Make some partitions and format the drive.
    • Reboot the computer

If you need help with FDISK, just post :)

Oh, and jester45, you might want to check out my HOWTO Install a hard drive guide

13. jester45

ok thanks for all the help but what about the cd drives not working do u think that i will have to reinstall windows but i cant use the cd to do that my friend has A FLOppy for that but i dont know anything about this kinda stuff

if i partion the new drive will it show in windows as like many drives or what

14. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

You can set it by yourself D or E , whateva.

15. jester45

ok the new drive is working it has full capicaty showing in its properties but now the last thing i need to get fixed is the cd drives stoped showing up in BIOS or windows

16. Karanislove

You mean it was showing up in BIOS before but not now? If thats the case then you should better check the wire because I dont think so if there would be any other reason except a loose connection or faulty cable.

17. megamaced

I agree

Check the position of the jumpers on all of your IDE devices.

Click the 'HOWTO Install A Second Hard Drive' link in my signature for more information

18. Karanislove

[ot]
    His topic is changed mega, he is talking about CD writer now not for the second Hard Drive. Or clear my mind if I've got ya wrong somewhere. Thanks
    [/ot]

19. jester45

ok i started this topic becuase i was installing a new harddrive it was showing in the BOs and not windows so i messed around with the wire i have 3 IDE cables so i tried them all then that didnt work so i called my uncle but he was gone then i came here so then i noticed becuase i was going to play a game that my cd drives whernt working so i checked the BIOs and the cd drive where not showing there either so i was hopeing to get both problems soved so i start this post if the cd drives did work i would of exchanged the internal or a external dive but i figured the internal wouldnt be that hard to get working and it is faster and now that my cd rives dont working i going fix both problems probley with the same solution

well i got the harddrive fixed via fdisk (simplest thing to do) i didnt have to mess with the BIOs so now to get my cd drives working i will check the calbe and the power works becuase they open/close still i have the jumper cables as master and slave the slave is on the middle of the wire and master on the end like it should be i didnt format my oold drive so all the data is still on there they just stoped working after i took IDE cabes off

i hope this clears this topic up i know at the start of it evryone focused on the hardrive

by the way you guys all the best i never would of got it working

i typed all this in under 7 mins that pretty good for me

20. megamaced

Okay Jester, exactly how many hard drives and CD-ROM drives do you have installed inside your computer?