Installing RAM

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by blade, Oct 4, 2006.

1. blade

blade GEEK 2.0

Is there anything I need to know/do before putting another RAM(new) on my mobo; just plug and play?

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

assuming you've got the correct RAM, i would recommend you get an anti-static wrist strap or you can just touch an exposed part of the metal case every minute or so, while playing inside your system

3. blade

blade GEEK 2.0

ok, I got a new 1gb pc3200 ram, i installed but now it says the memory frequency is 333.
    Before, at boot it would show the memory frequency to be 400, and now after installing another 1gb ram, it says 333?

4. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Have you tried different slot configurations?

5. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

What speed is the other RAM in the system operating at? If that's only 333MHz then the DDR400 RAM will only be able to work at DDR333 speeds as well. Also the FSB of your CPU *could* be limiting the speed of the RAM - in my old desktop it was, the CPU's FSB wasn't high enough to make use of the full speed of the RAM.

6. blade

blade GEEK 2.0

The other ones were at 400; it was 400 before, now 333

7. Warmonger41

Warmonger41 Big Geek

Check the ram speeds individually on your computer by just putting in 1 stick and going into bios, then the other stick. Just to make sure that there both pc3200.

8. blade

blade GEEK 2.0

whats the difference if they are different
    the 2 512 ram i had were running at 400 mhz, and the new i got is pc3200, but after installing that one, the mhz turned to 333

9. blade

blade GEEK 2.0

the new ram i got was a SimpleTech Desktop 1GB DDR PC3200/2700/2100 P/N SRT DDR 3200/1GB; does anyone know what the mhz is for that, doesnt say on box

10. Warmonger41

Warmonger41 Big Geek

Unless there are exceptions that I dont know about then pc3200 runs at 400mhz.

But if for some reason the new stick that you bought is a lower speed then your computer will automatically slow down your other ram so that both sticks run at the same speed.

11. blade

blade GEEK 2.0

what does a memory's ###mhz speed do anyway

12. donkey42

donkey42 plank

it's no problem - Mhz = Megahertz - it is the speed at which memory runs at, the higher the Mhz then the better the memory is, some memory can be used at a lower speed than rated but you can not run it at a higher speed (unless you overclock) check out Big B's Sticky

13. blade

blade GEEK 2.0

looking at his stick, it says 3.2GB/s=PC3200=DDR400
    all my ram is capatible at pc3200, so why is my mhz at 333 and not at 400?
    is there anything in my bios i have to change; whats going on?

14. donkey42

donkey42 plank

you can usually change the memory clock speed in the BIOS, i think its usually on the same BIOS page as the CPU frequency and multiplier, it will be in your mobo manual

15. blade

blade GEEK 2.0

i went into bios and was able to change the frequemcy anywhere from 333-5 something, anyways i changed it to 400mhz, but then whenever i tried logging iN i would get a blue screen error... "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"

16. zeus

zeus out of date

So your new stick seems to be defaulting to ddr333.
    Put your ram in one at a time and leave speed to auto to find out which one but its got to be your new stick.

Take note of the cas latencys too. Maybe your new one has a higher latency but auto is running it too fast. It happens on mine. 2 sticks are cas 2.5 and the third is 3, but bios sets it to 2.5 on auto.

Try PCWizard to find all the factory numbers.....
    They should give me money for the amount of times ive recommended this program!
    PC Wizard

17. blade

blade GEEK 2.0

yea it is the new stick
    what am i suppose to do, i keep getting that blue screen error whenever I try to change the mhz

18. zeus

zeus out of date

Use the new stick on its own, set the timings and frequency to auto and get into windows. Then use pcwizard to see what the ram is rated at.

Then do the same with one of your old sticks to what the differences are.

19. blade

blade GEEK 2.0

i dont see "auto" in the bios-mhz option, just numbers from 333-566
    i already know they are all 400mhz