Instant Messaging

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Anti-Trend, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

How possible would it be to include GoogleTalk, Jabber, and maybe Gadu-Gadu to the "Instant Messaging" section of each user profile? Right now we're limited to the usual suspects: AIM, Y!, MSN, ICQ. But Jabber is actually the word's most commonly used messenger protocol (GoogleTalk is based on the same protocol).

2. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

whats jabber, i have never heard of it :s

3. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

AT said what it was...I'm guessing it would be fairly simple to add, when I read the thread title I immediately thought of an mIRC JAVA type chat program..that might be a nice idea to incorporate - for subscribers, perhaps?

Get real technical help, with a real person..

4. Anti-Trend

No, it's nothing like IRC, although since the protocol is open it wouldn't be hard to adapt to that purpose. But jabber is actually more comparible to AIM or MSN than to irc; it's just a competing open standard. I suppose we could implement our own jabber server though... interesting thought, I've already done it for one company. Anyway, back on topic. What I was referring to is the "Instant Messengers" section in our profiles:

[​IMG]

What I'm suggesting is that we tack information for a few more messengers on there. I mean, everybody that has a Gmail account already has an account on GoogleTalk automatically. Why not be able to list it?

5. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

check your profile :) dam internet is being so slow for some reason!

I'll look into Jabber and Gadu-Gadu, the ones I added were already done, but the others I will have to look into myself. Thats when I get the time to do so :)

6. Anti-Trend

Excellent, a small but useful improvement. ;)

[​IMG]

7. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

anti-trend do you know any website which has implemented jabber in the forums or website? thanks

8. Anti-Trend

No, not that I know of. But it would be fairly trivial to implement our own jabber service if you wanted to go that route.