Intel Core i7 (Nehalem) Released.

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Pimp, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Pimp

Pimp Captain of USS Defiant

OcUK has a world first! Available now to pre-order are Intels Core i7 Processors. These are Intel's latest Quad Core processors featuring L3 cache, Hyperthreading and QuickPath technology delivering approx 30% performance improvements over previous Intel Quad Cores. To use these processors, and overclock them if desired, a new Socket LGA1366 mainboard is required

check out the website

The new 1366 X58 mobos are also out for pre-order in the UK with 6400MHz FSB OMFG and DDR3 only.

check out the website

2. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Sweet. If only i had the greens for that right now i think i'd get one of those bundles.

3. colt1911

colt1911 Geek Trainee

Nice find, I love to see some dates for release here in the US and price ranges.

4. Pimp

Yeah i was surprised that it wasn't released in US first then the UK, maybe because your economy is so bad atm no one can afford to buy these babies lol mind you the UK economy isn't so good but better then US

for the people who are 30+ (atm) means "at the moment" :chk:

5. colt1911

colt1911 Geek Trainee

I was about to order a new mobo but now I'll wait and see what the prices are on Nehalem. Nehelam will probably be outrageous for some time and also very buggy, so the best deal may be if prices drop on the socket 775 line.

6. Pimp

good idea but i think i might wait a while and move forward and get my self a Nehlam rig

7. Pimp

I have just found out that the new Intel X58 mobo has 6 DDR3 slots and can take a total of 24GB of memory running at 1600MHz and that's not overclocked lol, this is like a server lol

8. colt1911

colt1911 Geek Trainee

I have yet to see any aftermarket cpu coolers or even DDR3 memory kits for the x58 mobos since they will be in sets of 3. I sure that most manufactures are working on getting things together for the release though.More than likely I'll move on to Nehalem regardless of price , I won't be able to resist the urge lol!:D

9. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Ha, like a server indeed.

10. Pimp

yes but who will need 24gb of memory :doh:

11. massec

massec Geek Trainee

This link shows that the i7 processors won't be able to use any of the high performance DDR3 ram over voltges of 1.7.

I'm thinking that most of the people who would buy an i7 processor straight away will be looking to buy the best and probably overclock, and therefore have high performance ram already. Uh-oh intel.

12. Pimp

Interesting read and that is going to really scare people, why would Intel let such a thing get in the way??? im sure they would have loads of time to solve this problem o well :doh:

I did some checking and the X58 mobos can only do up to 1600Mhz DDR3 memory but i have checked out some pc3-12800 (1600MHz) memory and they all are over 1.7v - 1.8v