Intel Open-sources their Video Drivers

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Anti-Trend, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Good news for Linux users: Intel has open-sourced the drivers for their graphics chipsets. This means we will see better quality drivers from Intel, and it will actually provide quite a boost to their chipset sales. After all, truly open-source drivers can be shipped with open-source distros and work right out-of-the-box. This makes Intel chipsets infinitely more attractive for commodity Linux PCs, and the quality of their Windows drivers will probably benefit from the open nature of their Linux drivers. Smart move Intel, didn't see it coming.

2. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Very good move by Intel.

I've heard their new upcoming graphics chipsets are supposed to be quite good. Much better then their usual run of the mill integrated solutions.

As a Linux user, I have to say that now I favour Intel over AMD :)

3. Anti-Trend

Yeah, AMD graphics drivers really suck! Wait... :p

On that note, we'll have to wait and see if the AMD aquisition of ATI will result in better quality Linux drivers (or best, open-source Linux drivers!).

4. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Well for the moment, I wouldn't touch ATi's graphics cards with a barge poll! The reason I have gone nVidia is because their graphics drivers, although proprietory, are much better then ATi's

I am not really a heavy gamer at all, I play a bit of Enemy Territory and that's about it! If Intel's new chips can handle the odd game, as well as XGL/Compiz, then I am sold :)

5. Anti-Trend

I agree totally, but it will be interesting to see how this pans out...

6. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

i am hoping ATi has some graphics drivers that are decent enough to play games on now.

7. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

Of Course AMD will open source the drivers, i belive intel only did so beacuse they where :swear: themselves at the AMD-Ati deal! (and trying to gain popularity fast!)

Intel graphics will display the desktop, and play space invaders if your lucky.

Ati graphics eat things, in glorious high framerates (even with "bad" drivers, which if [or rather when] open-sourced will improve dramatically!). I would also expect AMD & ATi products to work closer together, aka better. AMD Still have my money.

8. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

In linux ATi has high fram rates :eek: thats new, sounds like the drivers must be ace now, i thought they were crap and that Nvidia drivers were the best.

9. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

I was refering to the windows drivers, which work quite well (i wonder how well they would work in ndiswrapper actually...)

Really i was comparing the hardware...