Intel Pentium V

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by afidelino, Mar 1, 2005.

1. afidelino

afidelino Geek Trainee

anyone waiting for this one, i do..... :D

Pentium V

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Always take what the Inq says with a grain of salt. Could be, could not be. The Pentium 5 will come around eventually, but I don't know if it'll be just yet.

3. Addis

Addis The King

And I wouldn't assume it to be soon, since the new 6 series of the P4s will be their flagship CPUs for a while.

4. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

According to that site Intel will have one heck of a chip whenever it comes out. Not crazy about this quote though: "The idea seems to be that people can buy a 32-bit module, and then add in the 64-bit processor." Just imagine how expensive the P5 will be on its own, now you need to buy a 64-bit proc just to run all the (soon to be common) 64-bit apps and programs that AMD will have been able to do for years. Still, it should be pretty sweet.

5. Addis

Addis The King

Thats probably true 64bit capabilities. Right now, Athlon64s aren't true 64bit processors. They have 64bit registers allowing the access of more than 4GB or ram at once, but they are different from the likes of Itanium.

6. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Very true Addis. Still, it's going to cost extra. Also, I wonder why AMD hasn't shown any signs of wanting to work with the big manufacturers and create a mobo that can support more than 4 gigs of memory, sort of like the G5's. I guess there's very little need or demand.

7. Addis

Addis The King

Yea most applications right now don't make the most of 512mb of RAM (excluding games). So at the moment the majority of people won't see the need for it. But i can probably see large CAD programs like 3dsmax and cinema4d growing to take advantage of it.