internet connection for laptop

Discussion in 'Mobile Technology' started by itz, Feb 20, 2008.

1. itz

itz Geek Trainee

Hi,
    Really new to all this technology. Have bought a Toshiba Equiem Laptop from pcworld thinking I could just plug it in and go online.
    My neighbour said I could use his wireless network until I got something sorted out for myself,problem is I cannot get his wireless connection from my house, I am at present sitting in his Kitchen and typing this with a little help from him. The question is as I cannot get a broadband connection for about three months due to being stitched into a telephone contract at present,how can I get a dial up connection, what equipment do I need and can I get it from ebay or similar.
    Thanks for any help you can give.

2. Tech

Tech Padawan

All you need is a usb modem which you should easily find on ebay, which will make your physical connection via cable to the phone socket. Have a look across the internet and you'll find lots of setup guides for dial up connections on windows.
    You will need to either make a dial up account or get one from either your phone company or other online sources. I can only speak from my experience where I am but in the past you had to go online to make an account for yourself with Telefonica. Now I would have to phone them and get a pre-made up account name, telephone number (for the modem to dial) and password etc. Alternatively there are companies on the net that will supply you with a telephone number and account details for free however I dont know of the legitimacy of these companies and would be wary of extortionate call charges. Best bet contact your phone company :)

Out of interest how far apart are your house and your generous neighbours?

3. itz

itz Geek Trainee

Hi,
    Thanks for that info, much appreciated. The neighbours kitchen where we can find a good connection with four bars out of five showing is seperated from my house by one cavity wall. Outside on my patio also seperated by one cavity wall and a conservatory we can get three bars out of five, just to make it even more confusing he has moved his router around his house and almost next to the dividing cavity wall and still can't get enough signal to make connection.
    He is not that generous as I suggested knocking a hatchway through the wall and he turned down that idea, probably something to do with us fitting our fitted wardrobes in the bedroom flush with our adjoining wall and him having to put up with them protruding into his master bedroom, some people just whinge about everything.

4. Tech

Tech Padawan

LOL :D