is processor sickness contagious?

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by aeion, Jan 14, 2004.

1. aeion

aeion Geek Trainee

If I have Processor A in Motherboard A for about a year, and at some point heat or maybe something else causes processor A to become more and more damaged, and in turn begins to damage Motherboard A and stops working at some point.

Supposing that this is what happened
    if i take processor B from MotherBoard B (Both in good working order) and put it in Motherboard A
    Will processor B become damaged?

and also if i take processor A and put it in Motherboard b, will motherboard B become damaged?

-----------------------------------------------
    i've got two motherboards that i thought were dead
    then i went and bought another one and it has trouble booting with processor A or B after i've tried them in all 3 motherboards

wtf

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

No. Swapping CPU's into different boards won't spread any kind of disease. If the CPU wasn't set in the socket correctly, then yes, but you'd have a few bent pins at the least, and more likely a nuked motherboard.

3. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Then again, if the pins are bent, you wouldn't even be able to spread the disease on the other board since the cpu just won't fit in !

On a side note, I don't understand how is it that someone can even bend cpu pins.... (not saying that that's what you did btw)