Is this a dead card ?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Oprisan Tudorel, May 26, 2014.

1. Oprisan Tudorel

Oprisan Tudorel Geek Trainee

Hi everyone,
    I have a Sapphire Dual-X 7950.
    I tried to OC to play Crysis 3, on higher details. I went as far as 1100 GPU and 1350(or 1400) Memory OC. Game was playing fine, and i went out for about 20 minutes. I didn't shut down the game or the pc during this time. When i came back everything was ok, but i wanted to exit the game. As soon as i exited the game, pc shutdown, and windows is unable to boot in. I have Windows 8.1 x64. It shows the boot animation, but then it freezes. I can enter safe mode, i unistalled AMD driver, and Sapphire trixxx. If i don't load any driver the pc works, but as soon as i install new display driver computer freezes. And monitor is shutting down like there is no signal on it. I tried to do a refresh on windows 8, the problem persists. I also tried to use the bios no2, but no avail, it still does the same thing. As soon as it installs display driver, and procedes to initialize(the flicker) after 1 flick computer freezes and that is it. It even froze when i was using the IGP from my CPU(and i suspect that windows was installing the AMD driver in backrgound)
    One weird thing is that OpenGL(glx gears runs ok) is running fine under Linux MINT(live USB). However the board stays in 50 degrees temps and fans are running at ~40%.
    Is this a dead card. What else can i try?

2. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

I would reinstall Windows. First using IGP (to check MB is not broken). If it is, then install card and see if it works.

3. Oprisan Tudorel

I did and it works fine without the discrete card. With the normal card it still freezes. MB is not broken.

4. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

In that case there is not much else to do than try card with different PSU and motherboard. Probably that won't help because it seems card is broken some way.

5. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Try to put the card back to Default settings..It sounds like it was overclocked Too far..

6. Oprisan Tudorel

I can't put it back, because i have no software that works that way. If no drivers are loaded OC utility doesn't OC anything. I sent it to warranty.

7. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Can you get into Safe Mode ? You will need to use system restore and Restore back to an earlier setting.. Or Restore to default settings in your OC software under safe mode..
    Have you remove the Bio's battery for 10 minutes ?

8. Oprisan Tudorel

Hello, i came back here to post the conclusion to my problem. As i said system restore / reinstall windows / linux were a no-go. I sent the board to warranty. The seller gave my money back, and i bought a R9 280(MSI)