Is this PSU sufficient for my needs?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by bigwag, Aug 17, 2007.

1. bigwag

bigwag Geek Trainee

Can some recommend me a PSU? I found a sticky on a forum somwhere last night that had lots of info but now Im at work and cant find the forum/thread. The sticky on this forum actually has lots of info too.:)

Here is my setup:
    Abit KN9 Ultra
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+
    2gb DDR2 6400
    BFG geforece 6600 GT OC A minimum 350W system power supply is recommended for my graphics card.
    1 ide hhd
    1 dvd rom
    2 case fans
    1 pci wireless network card
    1 pci tv capture card

I used the eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite v2.5 and added 4 usb devices and it said 296 watts. I added the USB devices because I think that’s about all I will be adding to this system
    My friend has the Coolermaster eXtreme Power RS-430 and I put it in my system and it worked. Would that PSU be ok to use?
    His system is similar to mine except his CPU is 4600+ and GPU is 7600 GT

How about the Thermaltake TR2 430 watt?

The following two setups worked with the Thermaltake according to the reviews on Newegg.com

- E6400 at 2400mhz, a 1950XT, an 320GB drive, 2GB DDR2800 and 2 optical drives, and gaming @ 1920x1080 with high detail
    - have an AMD x2 5000+ overclocked, ati x1900gt overclocked, all zalman fans, 6 hdds, and a dvd-rw drive. This worked great when I only had 3 hard drives

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

the PSU Sticky is here

Thermaltake are a decent brand but personally i have an Antec TP 2 550 & i can't say anything bad about it :good:

BTW wattage doesn't mean anything some crap 500W PSUs can be out performed by a decent 350W PSUs

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

While the 430 would probably work, I'd advise against it. It's built with K7 Athlons and Pentium 4-based systems in mind. It's got a single 18A +12V rail, so while it would likely handle your system, it's going to be running close to maximum, and that's not a good thing long term. Running your car's engine in the red constantly is going to reduce it's lifespan drastically.
    Newer systems rely more on the +12V, which is why you're seeing power supplies with 2 or more +12V rails or a single high amp one.

Newegg reviews are iffy at best on most things and basically unreliable. Just because the power supply doesn't blow up when you turn it on doesn't mean it's a good unit. To properly test a power supply, you must use a load test to make sure it actually puts out what it claims. Most people do not have the equipment necessary to do this sort of testing, and therefore, the vast majority of power supply reviews are rubbish. Would you read one of my motherboard reviews if all I did was plug it in and take some pictures then say it's a good board? Of course not. I'd or anyone else who didn't test the product for it's performance wouldn't have much credibility. Why would you expect anything different with a power supply? Newegg reviews tend to be poor reviews to base your purchase on as many people seem to have poor reasoning and bash products for features the item doesn't have or do and/or the user is a complete moron and blames their issues on the product rather than realizing they're a complete dumbass.

Anyway, the Thermaltake would work, but as already mentioned, it's not recommended.

Here's a short list of low-end PSUs that can do the job and leave a little elbow room:

FSP AX450-PN 450W
    Corsair 450VX
    XClio GoodPower 500W