Is this RAM compatible with my Motherboard?

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Davea711, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Davea711

Davea711 Geek Trainee

Hey All,

I am in desperate need of some RAM as i am only on 256mb running XP and is causing me trouble. I have found some RAM on Ebay that i might get but thought it would be wise to check compatibility 1st because i dont really know much about it.

Here is information on my motherboard : http://support.packardbell.com/uk/m...ia5&PibItemParent=032745620188#Specifications

And here is the RAM : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6743792274&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Any help would be much appreciated! :)

2. Addis

Addis The King

3. Davea711

Davea711 Geek Trainee

All right but can you at least tell me if the RAM from Ebay is compatible?

4. Addis

Addis The King

Yea it looks compatible.

5. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

yes it is! though I would not buy from ebay, ask him will he replace/refund if its damaged in the post...

6. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Its compatible but a bit dogy buying from ebay

7. Davea711

Davea711 Geek Trainee

Well this seller has had quite alot of good feedback from what iv'e been seeing. Only £35. Wouldn't exactly be a huge loss.

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

And it wouldn't work. The motherboard looks to support PC100/133 SDRAM, not DDR . PB doesn't list it in the specs, but the motherboard diagram shows SDRAM slots.

9. Davea711

Davea711 Geek Trainee

Well what should i do? It aint DDR its SDRAM!? How do i know what to get now?

10. Sniper

are you sure B? the diagram suggests it has, slots DDR1 and DDR2.

Davea711 download the program called cpu-z in the Download Zone, in the System Information Section. When you run it, go to the memory tab, it should tell you whats the current memory type.

report back.

11. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

yeh i thort the diagram showed that too

12. Davea711

Davea711 Geek Trainee

Well it doesnt tell me the memory type in the memory tab, its just blank. But in the SPD Tab under memory slot selection slot#1 to the right it says DDR1

13. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

How many notches are in the DIMM slot itself? 1 or 2. If it's 1 it's DDR, but if it's 2 its SDRAM.

14. Davea711

Davea711 Geek Trainee

Theres 2 notches. but in the pic for the RAM i want theres 2 notches on the chip itself. Will it still work?

15. Sniper

That diagram needs to be corrected! I did a bit of search and found this :) click here so it is DDR, look at the image and zoom in!

16. Davea711

Davea711 Geek Trainee

OK so my motherbord supports DDR. All i need to now know is will that RAM from Ebay be compatible? i did notice my current 256 module has 8 chips and the one on Ebay has 9. Does this matter?

17. Sniper

yes buy it! and no it doesnt matter.

18. Dave35k

Dave35k H4ck3r

ddr is better than sdram and has 184 pins i think i can't remember how many sdram has. make sure wen buying ram that its a suitible clock speed for your motherbord m8 hope this helps Dave :good:

19. Davea711

Davea711 Geek Trainee

What about the clock speed of the RAM? I was on a site earlier that said the speeds have to be correct or it wont work. Also I have been looking very closely and it seems the RAM module in my PC now, has a different number of pins to the one on ebay and i already bought it so looks like £35 wasted. There appears to be less pins on the right hand notch compared to the right notch on my current RAM module.

20. Addis

Addis The King

Remember DDR-SDRAM has 184 pins with only 1 notch, while SD-RAM has 168pins with 2 notches.
    The number of pins may seem different because its the wrong side. Flip it over and they should align.

To the clockspeed question: higher clock memory won't run at full speed in a mobo that doesn't support it, so it will run at a lower clockspeed to match as far as I remember.