Is your firewall spying on you?

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Waffle, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Oooh...

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29157

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

"Is your firewall spying on you?"

Not mine, No.

Pretty sneaky what Checkpoint is doing, though not surprising in the slightest. I stopped recommending ZA after they started having popups to buy the pro version -- I guess that'd be right after Checkpoint bought them. Makes one wonder if any other commercial firewalls have the same practices. I'm pretty sure Kerio PF doesn't, but then again it's not exactly aimed at Joe and Jane User either.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Gee, I'm behind a Netgear hardware firewall...I don't think we're having that problem. Never had problems with the D-Link one either (now it's mine).

4. Addis

Addis The King

I used Zonealarm until I read that, after which I switched to Sygate. But it doesn't really matter too much now as long as I have the hardware router working.

5. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Nope I dont have a firewall and no I dont use a Linux box and Yes I know its stupid but I guess im lucky because i rarely (possibly one a year) get viri without one.

6. Anti-Trend

[ot]
    Without a firewall, worms are what you have to worry about, not virii. [/ot]

7. Addis

Addis The King

You don't have a router either, so it would be better for other people if you used a decent firewall.

8. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Lol AT I dont seem to get worms either...ill regret it one day but meh id rather not have another thing to configure (Yes Im lazy like that)

9. Anti-Trend

If you're running XP, it has a built-in firewall. It's not a very powerful one, but it does at least stop the automated spread of worms.

10. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Ahh then I lied I have one :)

11. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

I'm running some linksys combo [modem/wireless/4portrouter] box thing running a comcast firmware, so I wouldn't doubt it sending logs or the like somewhere.

12. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

It only protects against incoming traffic though, virus & spware can still transmit!

13. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

DIALUP. the greatest firewall ever created. I don't run AV, or use a firewall (yes my XP one is disabled). The only annoyance I get is a few spyware, but rarely, and theyre ez to get rid of.

14. Addis

Addis The King

If you don't run an AV, then how would you know you don't harbour any virii, or worse worms?

15. Addis

Addis The King

Not the firewall in SP2, which is much better than the default XP one.

16. Anti-Trend

Sorry but that's untrue. If you are exchanging information with the Internet, you have a chance of picking up malware. Just because the process happens more slowly on dialup doesn't mean you are any more secure.

17. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

I occaisonally run housecall if I suspect I have one.

18. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Sorry but you are wrong! The Windows Firewall in Service Pack 2 only protects against incoming traffic! Look it up for yourself if you don't believe me :)

19. Anti-Trend

No, he's right. Though the firewall still works in only one direction, it was vastly improved. The Random seed generation is truly random now, whereas before SP2 it was trivial to predict and implement a MITM attack. Also, the way the TCP stack was handled leaked information that gave away the OS type and what services were running on it. I believe it is still possible to detect the OS through their firewall, but the overall implementation is improved.