Issues with Compatibility?

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by Draegan, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Draegan

Draegan Geek Trainee

Hi all.

I have a few questions. I'm using a prebuilt Dell XPS 720 black with an nForce 680i SLI mobo, 6 GB of DDR2 ram (which I upgraded from 2GB) and a GeForce 8600 GTS graphics card, running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit (which I also upgraded from Vista home Premium 32 bit).

I'm trying to upgrade the graphics card to a GeForce 450 GTS and it sends me into a serious error loop where it blue screens and restarts my computer again and again.

Is it a compatibility issue? I'm using the same drivers for both video cards, from the nVidia site. The original video card works just fine in the system but the newer one errors out every time.

Or, could the newer graphics card have been damaged in shipping and that's why it refuses to even be recognized by system, when in device manager or adding new hardware.

Please help. :(

Drae

2. Wildcard

Wildcard Big Geek

Hi,

If you havent done so already, I would completely uninstall the nvidia driver and associated software from the computer before putting in the new card. I know in theory it should work with just swapping the cards out, but I have had problems with that in the past. I also uninstalled the nvidia control panel and the rest of nvidia software. Once it is uninstalled, swap out the video cards and try again. Some video cards require extra power to run correctly as well so make sure you check for that as well. Something else that may be a problem is RAM. If removing and reinstalling the drivers does not work, try removing the new RAM you installed and run it with your original ram to see if it will work, just to rule out a Memory issue which can cause blue screens as well.