It might not work...but...

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Egaladeist, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Egaladeist

Egaladeist I am the Eg Man

What I would suggest...if it's possible...and if there's enough interest.. would be a member active game site where members can play games against each other...like my favorite game chess...is it possible to have like a chess board ( Risk, etc...) on a site and play against someone...and take turns whenever you log in? :)

This might attract some of the guests that are looking for personal interaction into becoming members...like I said when I joined...I was actually looking for immediate interaction...which is why I went to chat rooms first...which didn't take me long to get throughly fed up with...I actually joined out of sheer deparation because I was looking for computer help not a date.. :sick:

2. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

good idea. and maybe prizes?!

Not that I'm offering to donate anything :D

Or bring back the points system as well - win the game get a bunch of points. Hold touraments and do like a knockout competition etc...

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Actually, I think you can challenge someone in _______ in the @rcade...unless Sniper changed it.

4. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

Yes, you can challenge someone else on the arcade! It’s not multiplayer but more like turned based.

So if you challenge someone in Snake, first you take a turn then the other person, when he/she comes online.

About chess like game, there aren’t any multiplayer games like chess which I can buy for you guys to play against each other. I have looked for other multiplayer games but not had any luck!

The only solution is to get someone, to make us one! We are looking at a minimum cost of around $500 for a well coded game for our site!

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Ouch. $500 could be better spent on server costs or future V Bulletin (the forum software) upgrades, at least IMO.

6. Sniper

I am considering using a different arcade system, its in beta stage now, so I might use it!

7. Egaladeist

I can't speak for anyone else...or how it could be done...but...if a members game room could be developed...and i'm sure if anybody could do it you guys could...because the membership seems to have enough experience between them to pull something like this off..for instance a multi-board page with different games...with a notice after logging in ( Egaladeist..it's your turn...go to board three...) I'd chip in my share..and be happy doing it...but I'm speaking from a position of very little experience myself...so I don't know how long something like that would take...how complicated it would be...how much time it would consume..or even if it would be worth the effort... :good:

8. Sniper

Egaladeist, I have very little knowledge of PHP (programming language), I don't think anyone here is a PHP programmer who can write us a game...I think mainly our members our experienced in computers and some web design related stuff. I think a few might know other programming languages like Delphi but not PHP, if there is someone out there wanting to create a game for us, feel free to contact me :)

I will still try to find a game like that for the site!

9. Addis

Addis The King

The source needed for a simple c++ chess game is more than anyone can do in a short amount of time. Thats just a simple single player. I've started to do some php but nowhere near enough experience and knowledge to make a multi-player game. Just some form handlers etc.

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

HTML, I can do. Programming...well, lets just say I have a very, very deep respect for those who do this for a living. Having a quick crash course in QBasic was enough to tell me that. ;)

I'm all for this idea, but, again, there's the whole cost thing...(which is more on Sniper's end than mine.).

11. Addis

Addis The King

I agree. I was watching a documentary DVD about XBOX programmers and they eat, sleep, drink and sh!t code. Don't know how they can do that.

12. Egaladeist

even if you found something like that...or, found someone interested in the challenge who has enough experience to pull if off...is there enough people around here who would want something like that...it doesn't make sense to even bother if only four or five would even use it :) ...maybe we should poll the members on who would be interested and would they be willing to help defer the costs of something like that..as members, I think most veiw this as our site...and this would be our contribution to our site as members...I'll start the poll with myself...if enough of the membership is interested...I'll contribute up to $50 for the opportunity to play against our brethren :good:

you.ve got a good site here with good members :good: maybe you should consider creating a vip room where you could place "specialized stuff" like that...and charge annual membership dues to defer costs of the vip room...$52 bucks a year ( $1 a week) seems like an affordable due to me :good:around here you can't even ride the bus for a buck :p

13. Sniper

hi again

I would love a multiplayer feature on the site, playing pool :) plus other games. It would be a good premimum member feature but first the site needs to make enough money to pay for its bandwidth use, as a multiplayer will use too much.

14. hushabi

hushabi Geek Trainee

Have you thought about making use of "free multi-player on-line gaming" portals ?

I had a look on Google (typed in the above) & it seems to me, you could just as easily customise your own gaming area within a game that has already been made - you could add links to it - so people here would know where to find you 'live' & arrange to meet each other there at a set time, updates could be posted on the forum "notice board" here.

Below are some links, that look good to me, I don't have the time for this sort of stuff at the moment, as I'm trying to make a living! but I'll probably join a few of these at some point to review them maybe - and they are free!

Basic multiplayer (stuff like chess/car racing/fighting/roleplay)
    Well of Souls - can add own art & music

Spogg - free basic membership - range of multi-player like scrable/racing

Virtual hotel type game/chatrooms aimed at 13-18 age group

Furcadia - furry pet multiplay - probably for kiddies but sounds fun:)

Alien Adoption Agency - no download required freebie

Complex sounding (to me anyway) multiplayers (that sound like the virtual reality portals of early 90's - but better graphics)

virtual world, complete with land and own currency (that can be swopped for real money)

Fantasy, elves & dragons & spells world

alien 'fighting world' type place - Real mud

I used to like playing the 'survival horror' games like Resident Evil, so if anyone finds anything like that for multi-player on-line - I'd love to know!