It's a Compaq this time ...

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by pinki, Dec 13, 2001.

1. pinki

pinki Geek Trainee

Okay people, my laptop is fine now all up and running Xp quite happily, here's another problem !!!

I have been asked to look at a Compaq machine that wont boot. When the machine is powered up it goes through it's ram check fine and displays the message 'F10 for setup'. However, entering F10, del, ctl, esc or leaving keyboard alone produces the following message.

162 - System options not set.

Your system configuration has changed since your last boot (addition of a hard drive, etc) or a loss of power to the Real Time Clock has occured. The Real Time Clock will lose power if the on board battery is not functioning correctly.

Pressing F1 will record the new configuration. If this message persists you may need to replace the onboard battery.

If I then press F1 or anything else I get the following message,

Parity Check 2

I have changed the CMOS battery, I have tried two more sticks of DIMMS, one 100 spec, one 133 spec. I have also tried booting from floppy, disconnecting cd rom and even disconnected the hard drive to see if I could produce another error.

On the motherboard there is a pressel switch which I assume is for clearing the CMOS, so I have tried that too.

I have some serial numbers from the motherboard which I have used in search engines and on the compaq site but this has also drawn a blank.

I am well and truly stumped and any help on this would be very appreciated. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Cheers :stupid:

2. pinki

pinki Geek Trainee

Okay, I managed to get it sorted, took quite a bit of muckin' around but I got there in the end. :D

3. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

glad you got it fixed :) what did you do to fix it? just so if any one else has the problem they know what they have to do to fix it.

4. pinki

pinki Geek Trainee

Here's what I did ...

I removed the CMOS battery and then pressed the reset switch and left it for 10 mins. I also removed the modem and network card as well. I then refitted the battery and managed to get into the BIOS. I set that all up and then booted from floppy and popped a fresh install on. I did try to do this with the network card fitted but this produced the parity 2 error again, not sure why. Anyway, it's up and running with the modem installed and without the network card as it doesn't require it anyway.

Happy bunny, that's me :D